server monitoring
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with home network

Smile Help with home network

Hi
    My first post so go easy on me!

I share an apartment with * other and have noticed a problem with access to my laptop.... (running on Win XP). I checked event viewer one day and noticed that my comp had been accessed when I was at work. I am certain my housemate has somehow cracked my password and is snooping on files etc... but he didn't cover his *****s well enough.

Now for the question: We both share a wireless connection to our respective laptops.. I set up the network and when he moved in, he was able to access immediately - which was fine as I have no problem him sharing the internet connection. (I also installed a keylogger on my laptop which confirmed he was opening files when I was out)

Now... I want to reverse the tactic and somehow log onto his pc to surf around his files! But, am stuck! I have total control over the router as I installed.. how can I access his laptop ? by using his IP address? I want to actually get onto his desktop remotely (although "remotely" means I am sat next to his laptop!). I have guest rights to his computer..... seems that there should be a real easy answer to this as I have access plus I have control over the router!!!

Would be really cool to get some help onthis one.. would be appreciated
    Thanks guys

Vasey

carlo Guest

-

Heres a nice and easy trick! First of all unplug your router. He will say to you "there something wrong with your router" as he can't connect. Tell him "oh yeah i forgot to tell you! You hav to install this update on your pc!" he will say "fine". But the update you have in mind is a trojan or a keylogger. Put it on a flashdrive/cd and tell him to run it. Then plug in your router again and he will say "Oh yeah its working now. Cheers mate!". Then go to a different location with a different ip. Connect to his laptop with the client and look at his files and basicaly fuck things uP!

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Vase
    Hi
    My first post so go easy on me!

I share an apartment with * other and have noticed a problem with access to my laptop.... (running on Win XP). I checked event viewer one day and noticed that my comp had been accessed when I was at work. I am certain my housemate has somehow cracked my password and is snooping on files etc... but he didn't cover his *****s well enough.

Now for the question: We both share a wireless connection to our respective laptops.. I set up the network and when he moved in, he was able to access immediately - which was fine as I have no problem him sharing the internet connection. (I also installed a keylogger on my laptop which confirmed he was opening files when I was out)

Now... I want to reverse the tactic and somehow log onto his pc to surf around his files! But, am stuck! I have total control over the router as I installed.. how can I access his laptop ? by using his IP address? I want to actually get onto his desktop remotely (although "remotely" means I am sat next to his laptop!). I have guest rights to his computer..... seems that there should be a real easy answer to this as I have access plus I have control over the router!!!

Would be really cool to get some help onthis one.. would be appreciated
    Thanks guys

Vasey
    He is your friend, yet you prodive him with internet access and all he does to thank you is go looking through your own private files?...

how can I access his laptop ? by using his IP address?
    IP addresses are just a number through which a computer can be reached, similar to a telephone number. Knowing it doesn't instanty make it possible for you to hack into the computer. Apart from port scanning and exploiting (if vulnerable), an IP address is useless to you unless you have a trojan installed.

actually get onto his desktop remotely (although "remotely" means I am sat next to his laptop!).
    Well I suppose you could get him to run a trojan, but I doubt you have the ********* knowledge to write your own, and using publicly avalable trojans will be kinda obvious (most people run antivirus).

I have guest rights to his computer..... seems that there should be a real easy answer to this as I have access plus I have control over the router!!!
    If you have access to his computer, then you could run a program like [URL="http://www.oxid.it/cain.html"]cain[/URL] to crack the windows password hashes, or use a program like [URL="http://www.foofus.net/fizzgig/pwdump/"]pwdump[/URL] to grab the passwords to be cracked on another computer (this DOES take over 4 hours most of the time). But I am pretty sure that you have to have admin access to get these files, so that method will not work. If you want info on cain or pwdump, then I can provide it, but I don't think it is possible in your situation. All that is left really is getting him to run some malware that will give you remote access. Harldly the best solution, especially seeing that you actually are physically next to the computer. If you can get admin access (while he is logged on), you can quickly dump the hashes then crack them at a more convenient time. As long as he doesn't lock his computer, all you have to do is wait for him to leave the computer for * minute, insert usb drive, dump hashes to text file, then crack them.
    Who needs drugs when you have electrons?

Help with home network...

Thanks for the reply guys... your help is much appreciated...

Am gonna try PRSP which I have on a flash drive and nip in when he leaves his laptop ********.... have tested this program and it works on my own laptop - shows my screensaver password!

Question: I have a keylogger installed on my laptop.... I know that he uses his admin password for access to various websites... if I can get him to use my laptop to access one of these websites... will the keylogger show this info to me? i.e., if he accesses a website and uses his admin password to gain access, will the keylogger record this or will it only record screensaver passwords?

Thanks again for your help... wow! what an interesting site!

Thanks for the reply guys... your help is much appreciated...

Am gonna try PRSP which I have on a flash drive and nip in when he leaves his laptop ********.... have tested this program and it works on my own laptop - shows my screensaver password!

Question: I have a keylogger installed on my laptop.... I know that he uses his admin password for access to various websites... if I can get him to use my laptop to access one of these websites... will the keylogger show this info to me? i.e., if he accesses a website and uses his admin password to gain access, will the keylogger record this or will it only record screensaver passwords?

Thanks again for your help... wow! what an interesting site!
    Keyloggers can only capture keys. They capture and record keystrokes coming directly from the key***rd, then log them to a text file or email. So to answer your question, no, keyloggers only log keys, so you would have to set up a screensaver and make him log in with his password, thus capturing the admin password. There isn't any way to just access the windows login password, it is simply entered at startup, authenticated against the stored hashes, then you are logged in, the only thing that is accessible while in windows are these encrypted versions of the password, which take a long time to crack using brute force.

liveCD linux

this is easy if you have unsupervised physical access to his computer. All you need is a liveCD version of linux such as knoppix. It is free and you can download it here [URL="http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html"]http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html[/URL]

All you do is burn the ISO that you downloaded to a CD then boot your friends computer from it.

It will allow you to easily look at all of his files (assuming that he hasn't taken extra precautions such as encrypting stuff). NTFS permissions mean nothing to it. You can even copy anything interesting onto a flashdrive and look at it later.

It will NOT allow you to change anything (well, i suppose you could use it to wipe the whole hard drive...) but i don't get the impression that that is your intention anyways.

Success!

Thanks to the last poster.....
    Have obtained Knoppix and now have direct access to my "friends" laptop. This is a great program....
    Question:
    I have a *20GB external hard drive which connects via usb. I know that I can use this to transfer files from his pc, however, what if I wanted to copy the entire contents of the laptop.... i.e., all info / programs stored on his hard drive.... is it just a case of dragging "C" and "D" to my external?
    His laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio multimedia centre... *60GB capacity...

Once again, thanks a lot for the s***estion...

Vasey

Thanks to the last poster.....
    Have obtained Knoppix and now have direct access to my "friends" laptop. This is a great program....
    Question:
    I have a *20GB external hard drive which connects via usb. I know that I can use this to transfer files from his pc, however, what if I wanted to copy the entire contents of the laptop.... i.e., all info / programs stored on his hard drive.... is it just a case of dragging "C" and "D" to my external?

Once again, thanks a lot for the s***estion...

Vasey
    Knoppix is an operating system, not a program, but yes, to copy everything that is stored on his hard drive, you would simply drag the contents over to the external drive (that's if you use a graphical file browser to do it). Copying the entire contents of a hard drive to a slower external drive would probably take a *very* long time, so I s***est you find the important files and transfer them individually.

Question:
    This is deffinately possible IF the external hard drive is formated with FAT*2. Linux cannot write to a NTFS partition (which is what is most likely on your computer, his computer, and that external drive). This is the same reason that you cannot use that knoppix disk to make changes to the stuff that is on his laptop. I think that rather than go through the hastle of reformating that external drive, you just use a flashdrive/usbkey/thumbdrive, whatever you want to call it, and copy over things that are interesting. Flashdrives are typically FAT*6 so linux has no problem with them.

But if the information you want to copy over is too big for it to be practical to use a flashdrive then you can reformat that external drive with FAT*2 and use it to copy the stuff over. Warning: reformating that drive would erase anything that you already had on it. Also, I believe that the windows format utilities limit the size of a FAT*2 partition to *2GB... something to think about before doing that.

Another option is to transfer the files over your network but I would only do that as a last resort if you aren't aleady familiar with how to do that. I am far from an expert with that kind of stuff so I won't be able to help you with it but you can read some instructions here: [url]http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Filesystems/Mounting_smbfs_Shares_Permanently.html[/url]

You can ignore the parts about making it perminent and the security stuff as it really doesn't matter for what you intend to do.

And in any case, as mike said, copying the whole thing would probably take a long time and would be unneccessary anyways. I would pick and choose what you copy over... just grab the interesting stuff like "mydocs" and whatnot.

+ Reply to Thread