Power Admin
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Basic Questions Re: Cain & Abel

Basic Questions Re: Cain & Abel

Hey all... i've been reading up on some of the complexities outlined here in the forums. I've gained an interest in learning how to use Cain and Abel. I've fumbled around with it and learned that you can view passwords on a drive via "protected storage". I've searched around and haven't been able to find basic instructions/tutorial. Can somebody please explain in laymens terms? Also, why when i press the "+" or "add list" button do some addresses and passwords show up but not others ie: **********/myspace.com/hotmail.com? Is there a particular reason that these sites do not show? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by infamouspg
    Hey all... i've been reading up on some of the complexities outlined here in the forums. I've gained an interest in learning how to use Cain and Abel. I've fumbled around with it and learned that you can view passwords on a drive via "protected storage". I've searched around and haven't been able to find basic instructions/tutorial. Can somebody please explain in laymens terms? Also, why when i press the "+" or "add list" button do some addresses and passwords show up but not others ie: **********/myspace.com/hotmail.com? Is there a particular reason that these sites do not show? Thanks in advance.
    The only passwords that will show up are those that have been saved permanantly to the disk. If someone logs into a website like hotmail, they are just sending the data through their browser, it is not getting stored locally, unless they use something like autocomplete to save it. Try googling for protected storage, you will find more information. Also, the Cain & Abel online user manual probably explains the protected storage feature of Cain:

[url]http://www.oxid.it/ca_um/[/url]

I never really used cain that much, so perhaps someone else can explain better.
    Last edited by Ezekiel; 05-10-2006 at 08:00 AM.
    Who needs drugs when you have electrons?

Makes sense... thanks mike. Is there a function on cain and abel that will allow me to search for passwords that are NOT stored automatically? If not, what type of program would i need in order to retrieve passwords sent over an internet browser? I was under the assumption that I would be able to do this with C&A.

Makes sense... thanks mike. Is there a function on cain and abel that will allow me to search for passwords that are NOT stored automatically? If not, what type of program would i need in order to retrieve passwords sent over an internet browser? I was under the assumption that I would be able to do this with C&A.
    That's my point, if passwords are not stored with a specific feature that stores them (such as autocomplete), then they are not stored at all; you type them into your browser, you are logged on, then the data disappears. There is no way you can access something that doesn't exist. Your computer doesn't keep a record of every username and password ever typed in. So basically, if it's not stored, then there's no way of viewing it. The only way you could see normal passwords, etc, that are entered into a browser would be through a keylogger.

Sooo... i've been checking out the keylogger from elitecoders... I input my email address (can you explain why?) after doing so I click on "Get MX" and a code of some sort pops up. Here's where i get lost... Once attempting to setup, it asks me to browse a file to combine with the keylogger. Can someone explain this? I'm not really sure what steps to take next after this. If you get a moment please advise. This is some complicated stuff! Here's where i downloaded the keylogger from:

[url]http://www.elitec0ders.net/keylogers.htm[/url]

Everytime I try to send a test email I get an error message that says error connecting to server socket then says text mail sended failed. Can anyone help me on this?

Sooo... i've been checking out the keylogger from elitecoders... I input my email address (can you explain why?)
    You input your email address so it knows where to send the logs. How do you expect it to know where to send the logs, without you specifying that information?

after doing so I click on "Get MX" and a code of some sort pops up. Here's where i get lost...
    This is the mx server, and is required for the emails to be sent successfully.

Once attempting to setup, it asks me to browse a file to combine with the keylogger. Can someone explain this? I'm not really sure what steps to take next after this. If you get a moment please advise. This is some complicated stuff! Here's where i downloaded the keylogger from:

[url]http://www.elitec0ders.net/keylogers.htm[/url]
    This simpy is a file that will be binded to the keylogger. After they are binded, they will BOTH run when the keylogger is executed. This is mainly to make the malware look less suspicious; if a game/other trusted program appears when the file is run.

But many people have reported that the keyloggers from elitec0ders.net just don't work, so I would advise you to go find another keylogger, or code your own.

help!

hi im stuck using cain does anyone know how to get my friends passwords for runescape.if you do please tell me my msn is [email]mshade@hotmail.co.uk[/email].

Stop bumping up old threads with hacking requests, idiot.

Lightbulb

So, from what I've read about Cain and Abel, I'm not able to find the passwords of someones account on myspace.com or something. Now i want to know if in order to find the password to something, it has to be on the computer that the program is installed to, correct? i.e., I won't be able to find the unprotected saved password data on a friend's computer in a different house from my own computer?
    -----------------
    Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowe View Post
    I won't be able to find the unprotected saved password data on a friend's computer in a different house from my own computer?
    Correct. Cain & Abel can't work miracles that defy the rules of the internet.

I realy need help if there´s someone who can answer me i would be very grateful! My problem with cain is that i can´t find any hosts in my subnet...My adsl router scans ip adreses from **2.*68.*.* to **2.*68.*.254 and i can´t correct it to scan in bigger radius...My sniffer works allready 2 days so i think that it should find some hosts by now...I have configure it by the book and correctly and realy don´t know where´s the problem!Any kind of help will be very apriciated! I apologise for bad english

open up a command prompt and enter in "ipconfig" and see if you aresearching the right range

i´ve checked and it is set just like it is in "ipconfig" info...when i´am searching hosts in my subnet i think it´s setup right,my ip is **2.*68.*.*0 and cain searching in **2.*68.*.*-**2.*68.*.254 radius...realy dont know what else to do...i think it is not big problem but i have just lost my hope in this.alredy working with cain for a month,but no results... anyway,if someone have any more idea with this i would be still very grateful...

Under configure, is the right adapter selected?

+ Reply to Thread