munin
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dial-up

Unregistered Guest

Question dial-up

I have a dial up connection which changes my IP address, Will I benefit from using a proxy to remain anon. Is one really anon from using a dial-up connection

proxies

Proxies can and will hide your ip # from many sites but,
    at the OS CORE your IP is always known even though you use a proxy. Example of this is at
    [url]https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2[/url]
    This is the shields UP site and its good for checking your firewall .

I'm assuming you mean that you are refering to being assigned a different IP # every time you connect to your ISP, which is "dynamic" as opposed to "static" (always the same IP #).

(If I'm wrong, and you mean that you have a snazzy utility which actually changes the IP # your ISP assigned to you when you connect, then contact me and I'll give you 20 million dollars for it.)

The idea behind being anon is that the IP # which identifies you on the web is different than the one which your ISP assigned to you, and therefore, cannot be traced back to your ISP (in theory), who keeps a record of who was assigned what IP # at what time.

Does that make sense? (It's very early in the morning for me)
    Openly covert.

Unregistered Guest
    Thanks

Talking Null..Show me the *****

I've have got on line with NO ip#.
    None/zip/ in****ble.. and I intend to do it again soon. * toothy grin*

Wink

Ok, here it is (shoveling..., shoveling...)

Now spit it out, kiddo!

[edit]
    (Oh crud! After all this time spent on forums, and I still don't know how to use those little face thingies)
    Last edited by Nulland Void; 12-11-2001 at 11:03 AM.
    Openly covert.

??

NUll...
    did you or did you not get the message about the utility?
    Do you have and use it already?
    (second time I have asked)

What have you been smoking Yabut? Is your OS core stoned? ;-)
    Blacksheep

smoking?

Nothin... nothin at all.
    I just happened upon it by accident and to my surprise I could still surf the internet. I realized after I posted that , that I shouldn't have though. Too many twisted people on the net. Letting it become public knowledge would allow them to do their nasty stuff and not get caught.
    In a couple of weeks , when I have free time again , I'll see if I can do it again, I should be able to, and if so.. I'll be happy to prove it to you.

Nulland Void:

"(Oh crud! After all this time spent on forums, and I still don't know how to use those little face thingies)"

Click forum user cp button> Edit Options> find an icon sized pic for your Avatar [url]http://images.google.com/advanced_image_search?hl=en[/url]

Hope this helps.
    Blacksheep

Thanks Blacksheep,

I think I know what Yabut is talking about.
    Something to do with timing when accessing the ISP, and ending up with "something or other" that someone else was using.

A packet (request) is sent out by someone, it's slow to come back, and that someone disconnects (for lack of patience, or maybe they have to go for a leak) while you connect at the same time. You end up on the same "something or other" and YOU receive the reply.

And those who know how to use that opportunity can surf without having had an IP # assigned to them?

Isn't it called IP hijacking, or something?
    Openly covert.

My apologies, Yabut...

I should do two things:
    *) check my e-mail more often
    2) come to this forum AFTER I wake up.

Thanks for the tip Yabut.
    I will look for it, and please disregard my above post.
    Openly covert.

Yer welcome

If you can't find it, email me and I'll send it to you. ( I'll need to know your OS)
    If you need to save time setting it up. Email me, Ill send you instructions.

This is apparently a "slam door" in the face of ppl who use admin features to access your system. You have to know what to check off so they don't upload stuff to you without your knowing.

I was solo. I would like to save others time spent on researching instructions. No one should have access to anyone else's computer without expressed permission... even *^$&^%$ Bill Gates.

IP hijack?

Hi Yabut,

"smoking?
    Nothin... nothin at all.
    I just happened upon it by accident and to my surprise I could still surf the internet. I realized after I posted that , that I shouldn't have though. Too many twisted people on the net."

Lots of twisted people period.

"Letting it become public knowledge would allow them to do their nasty stuff and not get caught.
    In a couple of weeks , when I have free time again , I'll see if I can do it again, I should be able to, and if so.. I'll be happy to prove it to you."

Hmm... Your secret is intriguing. Please do prove it. Hope I didn't offend you with the "smoking" joke.;-)
    Blacksheep

offense??

I don't offend easily.

( and I have all the good Cheech & Chong movies *s*)

+ Reply to Thread