opennms
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can someone hack into my computer through AIM?

Exclamation Can someone hack into my computer through AIM?

I was doing a research on it and found that it's possible if they send me a file. Also it said something about getting an IP address through direct contact and then hacking?
    If I'm only chatting to someone via AIM, not receiving any files etc, can they still hack me? For example by finding my IP? I'm very paranoid and it just drives me crazy. Can you please reply?

It used to be possible to get an ip from aim a few years ago. It involved using netstat on command prompt while you were messaging. I don't know if that still works though. Security measures have been improved, so I wouldn't worry. If you have a good firewall/security suite, you are safe.
    Another option would be using a VPN, a good idea anyway if you use public wifi at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    It used to be possible to get an ip from aim a few years ago. It involved using netstat on command prompt while you were messaging. I don't know if that still works though. Security measures have been improved, so I wouldn't worry. If you have a good firewall/security suite, you are safe.
    Another option would be using a VPN, a good idea anyway if you use public wifi at all.

Thank you very much for replying. I have a mac os x system and I'm not using any security software, since it's so expensive (I used to have Kaspersky but it expired a while ago). Guess I will have to invest some ***** in it then. Thanks again.

There are a lot of free anti-virus's out there, I use microsoft security essentials.
    For a firewall, I use comodo free. Just be sure to get the free version, not the trial version which will expire. And, as with a lot of free programs, select the advanced installment option. They will install a toolbar or like program otherwise.
    Glad I could help

Thanks for all advice, I will search for some free software today then.

+ Reply to Thread