ganglia
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Cool Encrypter/Decrypter

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7

    Cool Encrypter/Decrypter

    I have created a web page that encrypts/decrypts messages using a key that the user provides. It is pretty simple. I mainly did it for entertainment value. It slowly encrypts/decrypts the message with a cool display.

    I was wondering if this is the right place to discuss this with others. I want to make the encryption scheme a little harder to break. I think someone may be able to figure out how to decrypt a message without the key. If someone here could take a look at it and tell me how easy it is to do that, it would be great. I don't want to use any other algorithm out there. I just want to keep working on my own. I can make it better. I also am just using plain text characters because I want it to be able to be emailed easily.

    [URL="http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/encrypter"]http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/encrypter[/URL]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    623
    Congrats on writing that yourself. You are on the right *****!

    It was very easy to figure out the encryption splashed on the original text from the key though. It follows a very profound pattern.
    [url=http://www.syntax******.info/tools/services.php]Speed Up Windows XP[/url]
    [url=http://www.syntax******.info/tools/ip.php]Get An Ip Address[/url]
    [url=http://www.syntax******.info/tools/base_converter.php]Base Converter[/url]
    --------------------------------
    [URL=http://www.boninroad.com/syntax******/]Old Site[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.syntax******.info]Comming Soon[/URL]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,053
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsbaker
    I have created a web page that encrypts/decrypts messages using a key that the user provides. It is pretty simple. I mainly did it for entertainment value. It slowly encrypts/decrypts the message with a cool display.

    I was wondering if this is the right place to discuss this with others. I want to make the encryption scheme a little harder to break. I think someone may be able to figure out how to decrypt a message without the key. If someone here could take a look at it and tell me how easy it is to do that, it would be great. I don't want to use any other algorithm out there. I just want to keep working on my own. I can make it better. I also am just using plain text characters because I want it to be able to be emailed easily.

    [URL="http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/encrypter"]http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/encrypter[/URL]
    Nice work man, although you could secure things more by processing the encryption server-side with a language like PHP.
    Who needs drugs when you have electrons?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by SyntaX******
    Congrats on writing that yourself. You are on the right *****!

    It was very easy to figure out the encryption splashed on the original text from the key though. It follows a very profound pattern.
    Thank you guys for the feedback. I appreciate it. Yes, it is somewhat easy to figure it out. If someone uses a really short key, someone could probably figure out how to unscramble the message in a few hours or so through brute force. I think it would take a little while longer with a longer key though. However, I recently made a change, but put it under a different web page. The previous version only used the key to encrypt each letter by a difference of *0 characters. But the new one encrypts by a difference of 80 characters and is case sensitive. So it should be alot harder to crack.

    Ok, I just put the new one up on the main site and it has a message with a link to the
    old encrypter.
    [URL="http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/encrypter/"]http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/encrypter/[/URL]


    And, I thought about putting the encryption scheme in a PHP file, but I didn't want to take the time to write the code to pass variables between PHP and Javascript because I don't want it to switch pages. I also figured that, even though it is alot easier to figure out the encryption because the code is right there in the script, someone could still figure it out by typing a few words and then encrypting them and changing the key slightly each time.

    Thanks again,
    Jeff
    Last edited by jeffsbaker; 06-09-2006 at 10:51 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7
    thats cool dude! ! even though i had no idea what its used for it seemed very interesting

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    122
    I like it. It's really cute!


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for the feedback guys. If there are any s***estions please let me know.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    12

    Cool!

    That website rocks, dude!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9

    Thumbs up

    Awesome. I definately agree with the one guy who said you should run it on a server side language like PHP or something so that it's hidden. I myself would like to study up on this subject some time, as I am working with programming and I would like to study encryption. Awesome work man, keep it up

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7
    Again, thanks for the feedback. I was thinking about putting it in server-side PHP. I just haven't taken the time. I thought some techies would like to see how the encryption works though, to see what kind of password they would have to use for it not to be cracked. As far as I can tell, if you use a good random character password that is over *0 characters long it should be very hard to crack. I wanted individuals to be able to analyze the algorithm to see if this is true or not.

    Jeff

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2

    Thumbs up

    Very,Very nice,to someone like me that dose'nt know to much about writing encryption programs. It's cool the way it decrypts keep up the good work.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by reezin*4
    Very,Very nice,to someone like me that dose'nt know to much about writing encryption programs. It's cool the way it decrypts keep up the good work.
    Hey, thanks for the comment.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7
    If anyone wants to take a look I have now added encrypting of spaces in the algorithm and it still changes the letters nicely because I added my own word-wrap to the textbox, so that when the spaces are turned into other characters the browsers don't move the text up and down lines. Also the key can be 50 characters in length now.

    [URL="http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/encrypter/"]http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/encrypter/[/URL]

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1
    Alright, perhaps someone can settle this debate for me. A friend of mine is convinced that the Cool Encrypter at [url]http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/encrypter/[/url] is uncrackable. I'm pretty sure that because the encryption process is known (view page source), and you can see the program repeating the key as it goes, that someone who knows what they're doing (i.e. not me :P ) can piece it together pretty quickly.

    So here are two seperate strings I am sure can be decrypted; but he's pretty sure that even if the encryption process is known, you really can't crack the Cool Encrypter. Can someone settle this one way or the other?


    ~)yivGQxaK;*0tgJ*A8o[>Qx]]fAbaRT6#?lw


    \$fcD^${X)#XQ2:GD7Ztc5Q7rW\*HTt-VnH;%8ki

    He's pretty sure he used a secure key for each, but his idea of a "secure" password is a word he can remember uch:

    Is anyone interested in helping me figure out the keys on this to prove him wrong?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,053
    Quote Originally Posted by waldowin View Post
    I'm pretty sure that because the encryption process is known (view page source), and you can see the program repeating the key as it goes, that someone who knows what they're doing (i.e. not me :P ) can piece it together pretty quickly.
    Most encryption algorithms are known -- it doesn't mean they are crackable.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Very cool url encrypter
    By ~~smart~fool~~ in forum Security & Encryption
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 03:47 AM
  2. Another encrypter/Decrypter !
    By evilopinions in forum Security & Encryption
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 11:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts