server monitoring
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: udp flood

udp flood

hey i have net tools 4, it looks pretty good but i don't think it works :|

i tried the udp flood and the xtgreme udp flooder on my friends IP but i don't think it didn anything to him,.
    i even tried to do it to myself, but it still didn't crash me, how do i get this flooding thing to work. i also tried port scanning, and flooding his 25, and **0 ports, NOTHING works

Quote Originally Posted by grim
    hey i have net tools 4, it looks pretty good but i don't think it works :|

i tried the udp flood and the xtgreme udp flooder on my friends IP but i don't think it didn anything to him,.
    i even tried to do it to myself, but it still didn't crash me, how do i get this flooding thing to work.
    Oh it works, it's just one computer will not noticeably affect another in terms of flooding. To flood a computer using conventional methods, you need to overwhelm it with so much data that it ceases to be able to send and receive anything until it stops.

Home internet connections have significantly faster download rates than upload rates (about 4:*, with 4 being download). This means your 'flood' attempt at your friend will be laughably pathetic, since your upload rates are so poor compared to his and your download (unless either of you use dial-up). If YOU use dial-up, forget about denying anybody unless you want to go back many years to the days of < 28.8k modems.

Even if you have a fast connection, it usually takes a large botnet to take out any connection.

i also tried port scanning, and flooding his 25, and **0 ports, NOTHING works
    You have to actually flood a port that is open. Does he run a POP* mail server (port **0), and a SMTP server (port 25)? I highly doubt it if he is a home user, so you need to look more thoroughly through your port scan results.

yes i did port scan him, and those two ports were open, after i told him i tried to flood him he said he gave me an IP that wasn't his

and yes he is a home user

also, i have putty

what can i do to mess him up , with nettools or putty

and is there anyway i can try to test these things against my self to see if they work

*cough-coughtisn'tthis illegal talking about hacking on a message ***rd :|-cough-cough*

Quote Originally Posted by grim
    yes i did port scan him, and those two ports were open, after i told him i tried to flood him he said he gave me an IP that wasn't his

and yes he is a home user

also, i have putty

what can i do to mess him up , with nettools or putty

and is there anyway i can try to test these things against my self to see if they work
    Like I said, with one computer you aint gonna flood anybody. It takes a massive army of zombie computers to have any sort of impact, not one guy using an unsophisticated DoS program.

*cough-coughtisn'tthis illegal talking about hacking on a message ***rd :|-cough-cough*
    Well sure it's illegal to talk about illegal activities on ***rds like this, but you flooding your friend and yourself is not exactly illegal, apart from wasting your own bandwidth.

In any case, I will be re-installing my own forum soon, and it will have far less restrictive policies (such as when my thread about the fake page was deleted, and the other time when my post count mysteriously went down by about 50). My policy goes like this: Post anything you like, but if you screw up, it's your own fault. We're not responsible for you.

+ Reply to Thread