monit
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for an "industrial" grade PC Privacy Scrubber

Looking for an "industrial" grade PC Privacy Scrubber

Hi everyone,

First post here although i've been following all-nettools for some time now and have gotten some great advice from this forum, so thank you all for that. There's something i'm hoping the community can help with - I'm looking for the best *-click "industrial" grade PC Scrubber. Something considered professional and i'm not necessarily looking for freeware as i am more than happy to pay for this type of product. When necessary, i surf via VPN and using Tor so i feel pretty confident about that from an online privacy perspective...but of course, all online activity, be it reading a blog, downloading a file or looking an pictures or graphics are indeed stored in various and sometimes hidden nooks and crannies on our hard drives. And yes, i use the latest Firefox and it is set to "never remember history" but that doesn't mean other parts of the system aren't actively recording and storing our online activities. I use SQLITE Manager to prove to myself that Firefox itself in not storing any online activity in it's places.sqlite file (the FF equivalent of IE's index.dat). However, from everything i have read there are other processes on every machine that is capturing every download, site URL or picture viewed / article read and storing that information in some form in various unknown locations on the HD. I currently use Ccleaner which does a reasonable job (from what i can tell) and it even has a *-pass free space scrubber but i want more. I want THE best program that exists that i can say GO and it will clean and scrub *00% of all possible traces of internet activity on my box and then wipe the free space.

Can anyone recommend such a "super utility"? I've done some basic research into proggys like Wise Disk, Privacy Eraser, Glary Utilities, Wipe privacy cleaner...but each seems to have its strengths and drawbacks. Hopefully the good folks of this forum can point me in a few directions.

TIA,
    AK2**2

I believe there are no cleaners that cover it all. It looks to me like you have it covered, using several different products. I would s***est Superantispyware . com, it seems to find traces of *****ing cookies that other spyware cleaners miss. If you haven't done it yet I would also recommend an internet search for How secure are vpn's, none are totally secure. Even with a vpn, someone (the vpn service)can always read your traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    I believe there are no cleaners that cover it all. It looks to me like you have it covered, using several different products. I would s***est Superantispyware . com, it seems to find traces of *****ing cookies that other spyware cleaners miss. If you haven't done it yet I would also recommend an internet search for How secure are vpn's, none are totally secure. Even with a vpn, someone (the vpn service)can always read your traffic.
    Hi Gordo,

Thanks for your response, at least you did respond despite over 50 views of my post. I think i might need a more "expert" forum (not a knock against you or all-nettools.com) as i know for a fact that my current system of relying on Ccleaner is not even close to sufficient to cover all my concerns. I am also very aware of the benefits and drawbacks of VPN and its associated encryption and potential for log keeping. My VPN uses Open VPN and is based in far Eastern Europe, bordering on Russia so i feel little concern that it would feel compelled to give up any data to any North American based authorities. Any VPN service would lose all credibility and its user base if it did. However my post was more concerned with ensuring that the bits and pieces of my browsing history were taken care of on my actual box, i'm not too concerned with my actual online coverage. It's too bad that the collective experience of this forum couldn't make any s***estions as to my quest for a "super cleaner" but i'll figure it out through other channels. I did get a few helpful leads from the all-nettools.com "software" section and will follow them up. I guess i was hoping that someone with a ton of experience in this field would step up and say "THIS is what you need to use" but like you said, maybe such a "super util" doesn't exist. Although i'm sure it does and i'll have to do a better job of trying to find it.

Thanks for your response and attempt to help. BTW, for the users of this forum reading this, i just installed "HTTPS Everywhere" as an add-on to Firefox and i highly recommend it if you are using FF. It forces most sites to conform to HTTPS where possible which adds an additional layer of basic encryption which would normally not exist during normal browsing. It's free and the major search engines and major news sites seem to support it.

cheers,
    AK2**2

Good luck to you.

+ Reply to Thread