network monitoring
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good way to stop ads

Good way to stop ads

If your popup blocker isn't too effective, here is a solution to block ads (found it on hellboundhackers.com)

Go to C:\WINDOWS\system*2\drives\etc

Find the file named hosts, and open it with notepad or another text editor

Hosts.txt is a file that your Internet looks to for connecting to a certain site before trying to get it from the DNS. It is usually edited by a) Internet hijacking malware/spyware or b) people who want to speed up load times on their computer for Internet sites

Well, to end this, you can look at the syntax. It should say *27.0.0.*, then beside it localhost. Now you have to find the site where the ads are coming from. Suppose it is ads.adsmore.com. Put the following line in the hosts file

Code:
    *27.0.0.* ads.adsmore.com
    OR

Code:
    0.0.0.0 ads.adsmore.com
    This will cause a loopback to your local machine, and will not display the ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbat
    If your popup blocker isn't too effective, here is a solution to block ads (found it on hellboundhackers.com)

Go to C:\WINDOWS\system*2\drives\etc

Find the file named hosts, and open it with notepad or another text editor

Hosts.txt is a file that your Internet looks to for connecting to a certain site before trying to get it from the DNS. It is usually edited by a) Internet hijacking malware/spyware or b) people who want to speed up load times on their computer for Internet sites

Well, to end this, you can look at the syntax. It should say *27.0.0.*, then beside it localhost. Now you have to find the site where the ads are coming from. Suppose it is ads.adsmore.com. Put the following line in the hosts file

Code:
    *27.0.0.* ads.adsmore.com
    OR

Code:
    0.0.0.0 ads.adsmore.com
    This will cause a loopback to your local machine, and will not display the ad.
    Or just install adblock.

but

But that's only for Firefox...

But that's only for Firefox...
    Your point?

All computer power users, programmers or those with a general interest in computers use firefox or another open source browser. It's only a matter of time before you make the switch, whatever your reasons for not doing so are currently.

arent most ads coming from totally different places
    7h* L**7*57 c4n7 h4ck m*!
    Proud to have quit playing ®µÑȧ©ÅÞË

If you write like a semi-literate boob you will very likely be ignored.
    Writing like a l**t script kiddie hax0r is the absolute l**t*st way to write!
    L0L

Quote Originally Posted by ~~smart~fool~~
    arent most ads coming from totally different places
    Thus adblock downloads an updated blocklist every day.

well

mike, I'm just saying that not everyone uses Firefox at the current moment, so they can use this if their anit-ad software isn't blocking everything.

All computer power users, programmers or those with a general interest in computers
    There are many people who aren't power users, programmers, or people with a general interest in computers. Exhibit A = all the users who ask for us to hack something for them.

mike, I'm just saying that not everyone uses Firefox at the current moment, so they can use this if their anit-ad software isn't blocking everything.
    And it was useful information on usage of the hosts file - i'm not complaining about anything.

There are many people who aren't power users, programmers, or people with a general interest in computers. Exhibit A = all the users who ask for us to hack something for them.
    Be that as it may, i'm not going to explain things in a different way each time just for the different variations on each member's computer (or in this case, their stubborn-ness in refusing to change browser). I explain things the way I use them, and people can take that advice if they want.

I think its a good idea to use the hosts file (which is extentionless, by the way, not a .txt file ) to block anything that you find keeps showing up on your spyware scans, due to whatever your personal surfing habits are.

You can also use it to stop certain programs from reporting back to somewhere, as well as to filter or forward web pages, even as a form of DNS spoofing.

In fact, see how well I led into a plug for a tutorial I wrote on the matter?

Here it is:
    enjoy.

[url]http://ilforums.thedarksun.org/viewtopic.php?t=24*2[/url]

I'll probably be adding it onto [url]www.informationleak.com[/url] soon as well.
    Last edited by Halla; 11-01-2006 at 06:05 PM.

halla

In that article post, you said something about 'If they type [url]http://www.myspace.com[/url], they will go back to the real site.' Can you edit the hosts file to stop that?

Why would you redirect a kid, who your trying to prevent from meeting psychos, to goatse?? lol

nope, sorry.
    the prefix "http://" seems to bypass the hosts files settings.

If you screw around enough and find a workaround, I'd be glad as hell to hear it.

As far as why Id redirect someone Im trying to prevent from meeting psychos (through myspace) to goatse goes ... Im under the impression that 2 or * good views of that would stop anyone in their *****s from trying again if the first one didnt.
    Kind of the same principal as electro-shock "therapy"

myspace.com .... redirects to....
    hmm, wtf!
    /tries again.... =
    "MOM! The Internet is broken!"

+ Reply to Thread