mrtg
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finding someone's IP address from the sender's gmail address or on livejournal

Finding someone's IP address from the sender's gmail address or on livejournal

Hello, thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post; I've tried to research this issue as much as I could before posting, so I do know some information already-- but so far I haven't found anything to really help me out.

The scenario: Over the past months, I have received various emails from different email addresses, which I suspect might all be from the same one person; this person isn't a scammer, but someone who I think is posing as several different people.

I have tried to find the person's IP address by following guidelines posted on the internet on how to do this-- however, the emails are always from gmail addresses, and I have read that supposedly it's not possible to find the user's actual IP address from a gmail address. This is presumably because gmail does not include users' IP addresses in its header, but rather just the IPs of its own email servers.

I tried to conduct a little test just to see if an IP address can correctly be found from an email even if it's not gmail; I sent emails to myself from several different email accounts of my own. Those included one gmail, two yahoo, and one from my own private server. I looked up my own IP address on an IP-finder website, and then I searched for this IP address in the headers of the four test emails I had sent to myself. Only the email from my own private server contained my actual IP address. I looked up all the other IP addresses in the other headers, and they were all server addresses (ie, in locations far from where I live).

Furthermore, in all the emails I had sent to myself (all from the same originating connection, ie, all from the same IP address, at home, within the same one hour), none of the four test emails contained any of the same IP addresses at all. Meaning that if some other person was trying to impersonate a number of different people, and was just sending me emails from various addresses while sitting at home, their various emails would still look like they were sent from different people.

Needless to say, this is pretty frustrating and concerning; I thought maybe I could try to find the person's IP address via livejournal, because at one point one of these supposedly different people had contacted me on my livejournal account. I know that livejournal used to (or maybe still does) have a feature that if you post a blog entry, then you can show the IP address of commenters on your entry-- but I don't know if you can have an IP address shown in a private message sent to you.

In conclusion, what I would like is if someone could help me figure out a way to tell if these various emails/livejournal messages I've received have originated from the same IP address or not? It seems unlikely to me that someone could harass someone else simply by continuing to register additional, different gmail addresses, without even needing to hide their IP address.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Blue62; 12-31-2016 at 05:19 AM.

If you have a web server, and the person will open emails you reply to them with, you could send them an email with a tiny * pixel by * pixel invisible image that gets loaded from your webserver. Then you could look at your web logs and see who loaded that image (and what IP address they came from). Marketers use this all the time. It's called a "web beacon".

Because this is such a common trick, many email programs don't load images in emails unless you confirm it's OK. So the user would probably see a warning about that, but they probably see it on many of their emails.

Thank you so much for your reply, that's actually a good idea; I do have a server, but I don't know how to look at web logs that would tell me who looked at the image?

Also, this might be a silly question, but would I just include the image as an attachment, or do I need to do something else? Can I use any email address, or would I need to use an email that uses my server?

Finally, one other question: would there be any way to find out the IPs of emails I had already previously received, as while this method is good for future emails and I'd definitely like to try it, I'd also really like to know the IPs of the emails I've already gotten.

Thank you very much.

Re: Ip

For your information,and to the rest reading this, i use this method a lot,works great. Simple steps and you will be good to go.

Visit the site below,register (free) and set up your account,you choose what piture you want to use,the the site will give you a special link to your chosen picture,wich the person will see,but the real ip will be logged in your account.
    http://ezstat.ru/
    Hope this will help you in your quest mate.
    jabber: gh05t*d@jabb*r.org Email: gh05t*d@hack.cl

Internet security is as real as your Dreams !

(Edited post): thank you, nozf*r4tu - at first I had a bit of trouble with the site you recommended, but at the moment I think I understand how to use it so far. I've tested it by sending an email to myself and so far it works the way I want in displaying my IP. As I've not yet tested it on the person who has been emailing me, I will add an update here after I do so as to ask any further questions.

Thank you both so much for your help, I definitely appreciate it; if it's not too much trouble, please have a look again in a few days as I'm still not sure if my issue has been resolved. That is, I might have more questions on it in the coming days, if you don't mind me asking them.
    Last edited by Blue62; 01-09-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Update: so, I've gone ahead and tried using the website recommended above (thank you again!) with the person who has been emailing me. Unfortunately, I've noticed that for gmail, instead of showing the recipient's IP, it shows an IP for google's image proxy. Namely, the IP read "(via ggpht.com GoogleImageProxy)." And, as usual, the person/people who have been emailing me always use gmail addresses. So I'm still not able to see the sender's actual IP address...

I get that google is trying to protect the confidentiality of its senders, but at the same time this leaves senders with malicious intent the ability to hide while harassing other people...

I would greatly appreciate any advice from anyone here on what I could do to find the original sender's IP address.

Thank you!

Perhaps you need to contact Google (hah!) and complain about abuse?

DougN-- thank you, and that might actually be something I would look into doing; however, aside from venting frustrations I don't suspect it would help me solve my particular problem at the moment/anytime soon. (My problem is that I'd like to figure out if the emails I'm getting are all from one person or from multiple people; I'd really like to find a way to do this).

It seems unlikely to me that someone should be able to impersonate multiple people simply by continuing to make new gmail addresses, without even needing to hide their IP address.

+ Reply to Thread