mrtg
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Obtaining IP Address from Forum Members' Posts

Obtaining IP Address from Forum Members' Posts

Hello all,

I was wondering if it was possible to obtain someone's IP address from a forum where they are hidden, and you are not any type of administrator who could access the IP address through the forum software?

So in essence, If I am some member on a ***rd even like this one, and I wanted to find out another user's IP address on this ***rd and I had no access to the IP log on the ***rd, could I find it out somehow?

Thanks all I appreciate it. Please use laymen's terms if someone can explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinbig
    Hello all,

I was wondering if it was possible to obtain someone's IP address from a forum where they are hidden, and you are not any type of administrator who could access the IP address through the forum software?

So in essence, If I am some member on a ***rd even like this one, and I wanted to find out another user's IP address on this ***rd and I had no access to the IP log on the ***rd, could I find it out somehow?

Thanks all I appreciate it. Please use laymen's terms if someone can explain.
    Not from the forum.

But there are other ways.
    1. Embed an image in a post you know he will read, which is located on your server. Log his IP address and send the image.
    2. Ask him to visit an IP address logging script.

Thank you for the reply Mike.

My problem is this. I'm on a forum and someone is threatening to post my IP address for everyone to see but they are not a forum moderator or administrator. They said they can get my IP and trace it.

I have not clicked on any image that they have in their signature or on any post. Are they fibbing?

Is there a way to get it through PHP?

A simple PHP script on THEIR site or webpage can log your IP.

lol you cant run a code from a post
    7h* L**7*57 c4n7 h4ck m*!
    Proud to have quit playing ®µÑȧ©ÅÞË

If you write like a semi-literate boob you will very likely be ignored.
    Writing like a l**t script kiddie hax0r is the absolute l**t*st way to write!
    L0L

:edit: oops
    7h* L**7*57 c4n7 h4ck m*!
    Proud to have quit playing ®µÑȧ©ÅÞË

If you write like a semi-literate boob you will very likely be ignored.
    Writing like a l**t script kiddie hax0r is the absolute l**t*st way to write!
    L0L

Thanks for the info. I'm not a hacker but I know enough to get around my own stuff. I guess what I meant was this person told me they were manipulating the PHP and were able to access everybody's IP addresses that were members on the ***rd.

Are they then full of sh*t? Because I suspect it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinbig
    Thanks for the info. I'm not a hacker but I know enough to get around my own stuff. I guess what I meant was this person told me they were manipulating the PHP and were able to access everybody's IP addresses that were members on the ***rd.

Are they then full of sh*t? Because I suspect it. lol
    Well im not a big hacker yet and im still really learning here so. I would say they are fibbing ask them to show you on msn or something to see your ip. Then once you got it go on google and type "Whats My Ip?" go to one and it will display your ip if it matches the one they got then they aint lieing if dont then they are pluffers.

Good Luck

+ Reply to Thread