nagios
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Proxy detector

Proxy detector

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm pretty much a n00b and I found your site and I'm really impressed. I figured if anyone could answer ths question, some one here could.

Is there a way to tell if someone is using a proxy to visit my website? I'm a mac user *ducks* so that might be important for you to know. I would also like to be able to implement this on an invisionfree forum ***rd.

Cool Smilies.

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminc
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm pretty much a n00b and I found your site and I'm really impressed. I figured if anyone could answer ths question, some one here could.

Is there a way to tell if someone is using a proxy to visit my website? I'm a mac user *ducks* so that might be important for you to know. I would also like to be able to implement this on an invisionfree forum ***rd.

Cool Smilies.
    What has being a Mac user got to do with anything? Are you hosting the site from your computer? Even then it wouldn't matter, because website scripting languages are platform independent.

Anyway, detecting proxies is not very easy.
    • I believe there are certain HTTP headers which show the presence of a proxy (and who the request was forwarded for), but these sometimes are used by ISPs.
    • You could port scan all connections for open common proxy ports (8080, 80, **28, etc). This is very inefficient.
    • You could check all connecting IP addresses against a database of known proxies.

All of them are not really worth it when dealing with HTTP.

By http header, do you mean something I would put into the coding of the main page? Where could I find out how to write something like that?

There's a thing on this website where you can click a button and it can tell you if you're proxying or not. Can I use the same way but people not know I'm checking them?

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminc
    By http header, do you mean something I would put into the coding of the main page? Where could I find out how to write something like that?

There's a thing on this website where you can click a button and it can tell you if you're proxying or not. Can I use the same way but people not know I'm checking them?
    Try reading the PHP manual page on the $_SERVER array:

[url]http://www.php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.php#reserved.variables.server[/url]

I think I understand some of it, but not much. Does anyone know where I can find something already to go?

get [url]www.statcounter.com[/url] and you should be able to tell proxy ips

also might consider a tool...

*Scan is a security program that is able to determine whether a remote host contains an open proxy. The program has the ability to test for HTTP, SMTP servers via HTTP, HTTPS (CONNECT), SOCKS4/5, FTP, TELNET, and WINGATE proxies. The program is very useful in determining whether a remote host is used by spammers as open proxy, and if it is, blacklist it.
    [url]http://www.securiteam.com/tools/5WP0O2AALI.html[/url]
    7h* L**7*57 c4n7 h4ck m*!
    Proud to have quit playing ®µÑȧ©ÅÞË

If you write like a semi-literate boob you will very likely be ignored.
    Writing like a l**t script kiddie hax0r is the absolute l**t*st way to write!
    L0L

+ Reply to Thread