monit
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: If I have someone's IP address...

If I have someone's IP address...

would I be able to view an AIM conversation or data being sent/to from their computer and use something like a packet sniffer or something and another program to view/compile the data?

If your ISP blocks certain ports, the IP is worthless. Try to telnet using their IP or use SSH or PuTTy. If you get through, then its possible.

Quote Originally Posted by whizzlechiz
    would I be able to view an AIM conversation or data being sent/to from their computer and use something like a packet sniffer or something and another program to view/compile the data?
    No. Unless you are on their network.

Quote Originally Posted by JMobile
    If your ISP blocks certain ports, the IP is worthless. Try to telnet using their IP or use SSH or PuTTy. If you get through, then its possible.
    what port do I use?

the ports open (if any) are mostly likely in use (derderder)
    7h* L**7*57 c4n7 h4ck m*!
    Proud to have quit playing ®µÑȧ©ÅÞË

If you write like a semi-literate boob you will very likely be ignored.
    Writing like a l**t script kiddie hax0r is the absolute l**t*st way to write!
    L0L

yeah, i've been running ip scanners and trying to connect through certain ports through telnet but i've had no luck

Yeah, cus' most ISPs block these ports automatically, so *hint hint* people don't get hacked!

Well, there is a 'logger on the Programming section of these forums that can remotely log keystrokes, and that's what you need, because the only data that you could understand is of course the stuff being typed. If you want their password, you'd have to trick/scam them.
    "Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains." -Karl Marx

yeah, i've been running ip scanners and trying to connect through certain ports through telnet but i've had no luck
    You do know that routers do not accept incoming connections on any port unless the user explicitly tells it to, right? Trying to telnet to most home users on any port is like running at full speed into a wall... It doesn't get you anywhere.

People have got to stop thinking telnet is some magical tool that uses elite hacking methods to gain access to any computer. It is an interface to plain winsock connections; nothing more. If the user doesn't choose to run some sort of server program and doesn't forward the ports to his/her internal IP address, connecting will return nothing. Even though windows listens for connections on certain ports by default (file sharing, etc), the user would still have to expose himself via the router.

In reply to the above post, most ISPs do not block any ports - it wouldn't be in their interests to do so because it restricts internet access and loses ********s. Some of the crappiest ISPs block certain bittorrent ports (and SMTP sometimes), but this can be overcome by use of nonstandard ports. Unless of course they inspect packets to determine the protocol... But even then you can use encryption. If they block the windows file-sharing ports (so many tuts on netbios hacking these days), you can use a SOCKS proxy to overcome this problem.
    Last edited by Ezekiel; 12-08-2006 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike*0*
    You do know that routers do not accept incoming connections on any port unless the user explicitly tells it to, right? Trying to telnet to most home users on any port is like running at full speed into a wall... It doesn't get you anywhere.

People have got to stop thinking telnet is some magical tool that uses elite hacking methods to gain access to any computer. It is an interface to plain winsock connections; nothing more. If the user doesn't choose to run some sort of server program and doesn't forward the ports to his/her internal IP address, connecting will return nothing. Even though windows listens for connections on certain ports by default (file sharing, etc), the user would still have to expose himself via the router.

In reply to the above post, most ISPs do not block any ports - it wouldn't be in their interests to do so because it restricts internet access and loses ********s. Some of the crappiest ISPs block certain bittorrent ports (and SMTP sometimes), but this can be overcome by use of nonstandard ports. Unless of course they inspect packets to determine the protocol... But even then you can use encryption. I'm going to stop now.
    I don't think telnet is a magical tool lol, I just saw someone say to try it so I did. yeah, I forgot about routers :\.
    Last edited by whizzlechiz; 12-08-2006 at 06:48 PM.

I don't telnet is a magical tool lol, I just saw someone say to try it so I did. yeah, I forgot about routers :\.
    dumbass :\
    7h* L**7*57 c4n7 h4ck m*!
    Proud to have quit playing ®µÑȧ©ÅÞË

If you write like a semi-literate boob you will very likely be ignored.
    Writing like a l**t script kiddie hax0r is the absolute l**t*st way to write!
    L0L

I don't think telnet is a magical tool lol, I just saw someone say to try it so I did. yeah, I forgot about routers :\.
    Yeah man, I forgot to mention, Telnet has gotten replaced a while back. But I wasn't sure where your location is at and if your ISP blocks ports for cases of hackers. Just thought you would give it a shot and tried it. But thanks for listening to me, . I feel honored, lol. Why do you want to monitor someone's AIM chat??? Start chatting with IRC. I never tried it, but you will learn alot using IRC.

Quote Originally Posted by JMobile
    Yeah man, I forgot to mention, Telnet has gotten replaced a while back. But I wasn't sure where your location is at and if your ISP blocks ports for cases of hackers. Just thought you would give it a shot and tried it. But thanks for listening to me, . I feel honored, lol. Why do you want to monitor someone's AIM chat??? Start chatting with IRC. I never tried it, but you will learn alot using IRC.
    Telnet as a protocol has been replaced, but as a tool for raw connections it has not.

+ Reply to Thread