munin
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spoofing / DidTheyReadIt.com

Spoofing / DidTheyReadIt.com

Has anyone heard of didtheyreadit.com? It's a service where you attach their name in an email you send, and when the other person reads it, you get an email saying when it where it was read, for how long it was read, the IP and ISP address, even the browser and platform type.

Someone did this to me (send a bait email) and now has my computer's info. Using the printout they received from the service with my info, they created another printout, and gave the appearance that I was in their email account and read their emails. With my computer's info, it looks like my machine was used. Attorneys are involved (not by my doing) and mine mentioned possibly getting a forensic computer person involved. Not sure what they'll find or do?

My question is this, if someone has your IP and ISP, and with all the sites out there used to hide an IP while surfing, are there any where you can select an IP of your choice while hiding (i.e., given them someone else's info so it looks like them and not you?). Is this what spoofing is? What can this person do now that they have my computer's information, or better yet, what should I do? I'm not sure how to get out of this jam.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by jackie682
    Has anyone heard of didtheyreadit.com? It's a service where you attach their name in an email you send, and when the other person reads it, you get an email saying when it where it was read, for how long it was read, the IP and ISP address, even the browser and platform type.

Someone did this to me (send a bait email) and now has my computer's info. Using the printout they received from the service with my info, they created another printout, and gave the appearance that I was in their email account and read their emails. With my computer's info, it looks like my machine was used. Attorneys are involved (not by my doing) and mine mentioned possibly getting a forensic computer person involved. Not sure what they'll find or do?

My question is this, if someone has your IP and ISP, and with all the sites out there used to hide an IP while surfing, are there any where you can select an IP of your choice while hiding (i.e., given them someone else's info so it looks like them and not you?). Is this what spoofing is? What can this person do now that they have my computer's information, or better yet, what should I do? I'm not sure how to get out of this jam.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    • Computer printouts or screenshots can easily be created to say anything. It doesn't make it true. Screenshots and things like that do not constitute evidence.

• Getting into an email account is hardly a noteworthy crime. It happens daily to thousands of people.

• Making a service like the one you mentioned would be easy.

Get the code of the 'baited' email they sent. Since when was getting in thier email a crime anyway lol.
    7h* L**7*57 c4n7 h4ck m*!
    Proud to have quit playing ®µÑȧ©ÅÞË

If you write like a semi-literate boob you will very likely be ignored.
    Writing like a l**t script kiddie hax0r is the absolute l**t*st way to write!
    L0L

If it gets to be a big case, your ISP can prove that you never logged in the person's account. Tell the attorneys or whatever about that site you're talking about.
    "Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains." -Karl Marx

Spoofing / DidTheyReadIt.com

Thanks for the comments guys. I agree with Mike*0* that getting into someone's email (by guessing a password) is hardly a 'crime'. I also agree that any kind of screenprint can be created, and made to look like anything. What's sad is when presented to a judge, who isn't computer savvy, it "looks like good evidence". Because they have my IP and ISP, they are trying to subpeona the email provider and other internet sites thinking they have 'smoking gun' evidence with the screenprints.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie682
    Thanks for the comments guys. I agree with Mike*0* that getting into someone's email (by guessing a password) is hardly a 'crime'. I also agree that any kind of screenprint can be created, and made to look like anything. What's sad is when presented to a judge, who isn't computer savvy, it "looks like good evidence". Because they have my IP and ISP, they are trying to subpeona the email provider and other internet sites thinking they have 'smoking gun' evidence with the screenprints.
    Your ISP can't prove that you did access the account and it can't prove that you didn't. They don't have entire logs of every packet that has traveled in and out of your computer; at most they have records of all the IP addresses you've connected to, and you could have been accessing a different account at that service OR connected through a proxy server. Your ISP can't prove anything, and screenshots are not evidence. All you have to do is get in an expert (or anyone really) who can zoom in in an image editing program to see the inconsistencies in the image (due to paint/photoshopping).

+ Reply to Thread