cacti
Closed Thread

Thread: ........But whats my IP

Unregistered Guest

Unhappy ........But whats my IP

I have a cable connection and behind a proxy server.I have developed a software in vb for remote file sharing.till now I used dialup , now its cable.I dunno my IP address which I can give my friends to connect to my pc via the internet.Can someone help

Thankyou

Unregistered Guest

Re: ........But whats my IP

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I have a cable connection and behind a proxy server.I have developed a software in vb for remote file sharing.till now I used dialup , now its cable.I dunno my IP address which I can give my friends to connect to my pc via the internet.Can someone help

Thankyou
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    hello Mr. vb developper
    It is a very complicated case.
    call 800 - 578.*6*0
    give your name, age, and eyes color
    they will tell ya your IP.

btw: your IP is different than mine
    sometimes it is different that his.

sleep well

Unregistered Guest
    [url]http://www.all-nettools.com/pr.htm[/url]

Unregistered Guest

your ip address

what OS are you uising? have you tried: start-run-command-ipconfig?

this should get you your ip address with almost any OS.

Good Question

I've been trying to find my computer's true IP for a long time, but because of lack-of-general-knowledge on Internet Protocol addresses, I can't tell (in part because the computer has a cable modem) what it is. When going to the test at [url]http://www.all-nettools.com/pr.htm[/url] I was given the IP of my cable provider rather than my computer, which I'm thinking is a good thing in general, but for gaming and such, I wouldn't mind knowing my own IP.

Typically I like to go though DOS with what I know, but sometimes that's difficult for me, being a newbie. I tried what one of the Unreggies s***ested: Start, Run, "command" (opening a DOS prompt) and entering ipconfig. After doing this I was given three different IP addresses: "IP Address", "Subnet Mask", and "Default Gateway". Naturally they were all different numbers, so I assumed that the one that frankly said "IP Address" was the one for my computer.

I then used DOS again and typed in "netstat -n" to get a list of numbers going though my computer. This gives me two columns fo numbers: Local Address and Foreign Address. I noticed after looking under Local Address that they were all the same, and that they were all the IP address that was supposedly "mine."

By saying Local Address is it just referring to my computer's IP and I'm just too new to know it, or when looking for my computer's IP did I just not get the correct one in the first place? I think the more I look, the more lost I get... Any s***estions, anyone?

Regards,

Cedz

Re: Good Question

Originally posted by Cedz
    I've been trying to find my computer's true IP for a long time, ...................... I think the more I look, the more lost I get... Any s***estions, anyone?

Regards,

Cedz
    =============================================

Hi Cedz

i will try to be the most simple possible.

when you run (on windows OS) netstat -n (the -n is to display adresses & ports in a numeric way) you will get something similar
    to this:

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
    TCP **2.*68.*.**5:*62* **2.*68.*.2:*** ESTABLISHED
    TCP *22.2**.*0.66:4608 *55.*2*.*0.26:25 TIME_WAIT

I made on pupose this example to give a detailed vew.

Proto:
    the protocol used for this particular connection, in this case it's a TCP and not a UDP connection.

Local Address:
    2 different local addresses, the **2.*68.*.**5 is a LAN (local area network) address, this address can only be seen and accessed from the network (intranet), not from the outside world (internet).
    The IP range from **2.*68.0.0 to **2.*68.255.255 has been reserved to be used for LANs.

as you can notice there's a LAN connection from my PC port *62* to another PC on the same network (**2.*68.*.2) accessing its netbios port *** and the connection was still ESTABLISHED at the moment of the netstat was running.

the second local address *22.2**.*0.66 is the one that is used for the internet and can be seen from the outside world, this is your true IP. Mind you that if you have a dynamic IP, you might get a diferrent one at every connection, mostly the last * digits will change.

you can see that a request is made from my port 4608
    to an outside computer *55.*2*.*0.26 SMTP mail port 25 and the connection is still in a TIME_WAIT mode when netstat was run.

If you want to use a firewall, try to protect the *22.2**.*0.66 address from attacks as the **2.*68.*.**5 is NOT accessible from the outside.

conclusion:
    both IPs are yours, one for intranet, and one for internet.

a third IP, also called LOCALHOST is internal to the system and is ALWAYS *27.0.0.* (NOT ACCESSIBLE FOR ANYONE FROM THE OUTSIDE) it is meant to be used by the system or even by the user for particular use like pointing to a local proxy or whatever...

come back any time

------------
    fEǚ.法Er

Fever,

Thanks very much for the explaination you gave. It was very helpful in explaining some of the intricacies of the addresses which I did not understand. Also thank you for welcoming me back... I'm sure I will be, soon enough.

With my gratitude,

Cedz

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Thankyou

Proxy server is used to hide your IP address. So remove your proxy server and check your Network IP address using the site Ip-Details.com .

Quote Originally Posted by joni View Post
    Proxy server is used to hide your IP address. So remove your proxy server and check your Network IP address using the site Ip-Details.com .
    Joni, you are the necromancy champ!!! The last post before yours was over *2 years ago!!!!

Closed Thread