file access auditing
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finding someone's IP...

Finding someone's IP...

I was reading a thread on here the other day that told you how to find some-one's IP if you were sending them a file. It was something to do with going into the command prompt and typing netstats or something.
    But in my command prompt it doesn't show just
    C:\
    at the start of the line, it shows
    C:\Documents and Settings\*username*
    so the command didn't work properly.
    Sorry for being a noob but can some-one help me either make the command prompt say just
    or tell me another way to find some-one's IP.

^^^bump^^^

To get it to say only C:\ (in other words, get to the C:\ drive) type

Code:
    cd c:\
    But you can use the netstat command from anywhere, you don't have to go to C:\

Quote Originally Posted by Fatality*0* View Post
    I was reading a thread on here the other day that told you how to find some-one's IP if you were sending them a file. It was something to do with going into the command prompt and typing netstats or something.
    Sorry for being a noob but can some-one help me either make the command prompt say just
    When you enter a command into command prompt, it searches both your current directory for the file (because all 'commands' are mere executable files) and the path where all the command programs are stored; I don't know the proper name for it but it's located here:

DRIVE:\WINDOWS\system*2

If you look there, you'll see all the old command programs you've used before such as ping.exe, netstat.exe, etc.

Anyway, my point is, you can run Windows commands no matter what your current directory is, because it always searches the path where Windows command executables are stored. You can run netstat from any directory; just type netstat. Your current directory only really matters when you want to run programs/access files specifically from there; not just generic Windows commands.

For future reference if you want to get to the root directory of your drive in Windows, enter this at the command line:

cd \

Or Moonbat's method if your drive is C:.

For getting someone's IP address (although it's mostly useless with the exception of scaring less-********* net users), refer to some of the threads on this forum covering that topic. I think the general consensus is that when chatting to someone over MSN, the best way is to initiate a file transfer and perform a netstat -n to see their IP address somewhere on the list.
    Last edited by Ezekiel; 03-11-2007 at 03:57 PM.

And.........

What would you do when getting the Ip adress? Msn user share a network,wich assigns an Ip everytime you sign in. (not static Ip)
    But hey,shoot yourself,look in this place: [url]http://shivampatel.net/trace/[/url]
    Go thru it,if you know how to use it,you'll have some chatters Ip's.

Just my 2 cents as always
    jabber: gh05t*d@jabb*r.org Email: gh05t*d@hack.cl

Internet security is as real as your Dreams !

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Fatality*0* View Post

Yes you can find someone's IP address easily. But you should know the host name or domain name of that IP address. If you know that means visit the site WhoisXY.com ,here select "Domain to IP" search and enter your host name. It will shows the IP address of that given host name.

+ Reply to Thread