+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
05-21-2002, 03:32 PM #1Unregistered Guest
just some confirmation please.....
I have read what i can in the faq's and would just like to make sure im perceiving things correctly.
1) I have found a proxy server, which displays my ip as another number, but in an ip checker the proxy name is shown, does this mean that it is not anonymous and i can be traced ?
2) Am i right to say that i need a seperate proxy server to be anonymous in newsgroups ?, please point me to a relevant read on it please.
3) will i get more annonimity if i go through, say, 3 servers??
4) Which is the best country to choose server from, ie, jp,ru, etc etc.
05-23-2002, 08:05 AM #2Unreggie Guest
the way I see it
1. the name and number are the same proxy. Every working IP can be resolved to a name, and vice versa.
2. You will be anonymous to readers of newsgroups if you post through a premium news service provider that strips away your IP and ISP info for you before your post shows up. Another way is to post through a SOCKS proxy (port 1080) if your newsreader supports SOCKS.
3. Theoretically yes, but it is tricky to do.
4. Generally, non-Western countries.
Remember though, you are _always_ traceable if the tracer has influence (e.g. can issue subpoenas) and wants you bad enough.
05-23-2002, 09:59 AM #3Registered User
- Join Date
- Jun 2001
e.g. can issue subpoenas
to prevent so,use proxies frm hostile nations.
05-23-2002, 04:39 PM #4
"...to prevent so,use proxies frm hostile nations."
I've always thought that, too, Data...but then I began wondering if using a proxy based in a hostile nation could possibly backfire by gaining undesired "attention" to a user's online activity that may not have been noticed, otherwise.
For instance, say I logged into my online banking service of an American bank with a "hostile proxy"...might that activity put out a "warning" of some sort that could get my bank account flagged and very scrupulously watched (as well as my identity known, etc.), perhaps implying that I may have ties with that hostile country, running money through American banks, etc.?
I dunno...I was just thinking that, for the purpose of being somewhat "protected" by the proxy of a nation that probably wouldn't cooperate with local authorities or their subpoenas, a hostile nation's proxy would be great...but maybe the "side-effects" of being identified in certain other places with a "hostile proxy" (when one might not otherwise be noticed) wouldn't be so great and double the efforts of those who wanna know who you are and what you're up to.