Power Admin
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: just some confirmation please.....

Unregistered Guest

just some confirmation please.....

Hi,

I have read what i can in the faq's and would just like to make sure im perceiving things correctly.

*) I have found a proxy server, which displays my ip as another number, but in an ip checker the proxy name is shown, does this mean that it is not anonymous and i can be traced ?

2) Am i right to say that i need a seperate proxy server to be anonymous in newsgroups ?, please point me to a relevant read on it please.

*) will i get more annonimity if i go through, say, * servers??

4) Which is the best country to choose server from, ie, jp,ru, etc etc.

Unreggie Guest

Talking

the way I see it

*. the name and number are the same proxy. Every working IP can be resolved to a name, and vice versa.

2. You will be anonymous to readers of newsgroups if you post through a premium news service provider that strips away your IP and ISP info for you before your post shows up. Another way is to post through a SOCKS proxy (port *080) if your newsreader supports SOCKS.

*. Theoretically yes, but it is tricky to do.

4. Generally, non-******* countries.

Remember though, you are _always_ traceable if the tracer has influence (e.g. can issue subpoenas) and wants you bad enough.

hi,

e.g. can issue subpoenas

to prevent so,use proxies frm hostile nations.

Data.

"...to prevent so,use proxies frm hostile nations."

I've always thought that, too, Data...but then I began wondering if using a proxy based in a hostile nation could possibly backfire by gaining undesired "attention" to a user's online activity that may not have been noticed, otherwise.

For instance, say I logged into my online ****ing service of an American **** with a "hostile proxy"...might that activity put out a "warning" of some sort that could get my **** account flagged and very scrupulously watched (as well as my identity known, etc.), perhaps implying that I may have ties with that hostile country, running ***** through American ****s, etc.?

I dunno...I was just thinking that, for the purpose of being somewhat "protected" by the proxy of a nation that probably wouldn't cooperate with local authorities or their subpoenas, a hostile nation's proxy would be great...but maybe the "side-effects" of being identified in certain other places with a "hostile proxy" (when one might not otherwise be noticed) wouldn't be so great and double the efforts of those who wanna know who you are and what you're up to.

+ Reply to Thread