power admin
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gaining Access to Private Forum

Well, there really wasn't any vulnerabilities in her system, otherwise, you'd be in now.

And mike, I agree with Wanttoknow, it's probably looking at referer logs that helped her find us.

Butta just sent me the nastiest e-mail, too, threatening me with all sorts of legal repercussions. Of course, she has no case, particularly since her site was not compromised in the least. But according to her e-mail, she seems to think I violated international law. Since we're both in the US, as is the Web site, I'm not sure how international law applies here. But I did offer to send her my name and address if it would help her make her case.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanttoknow View Post
    It may not have been that anyone told them directly. When I ran a Web blog, I could look at the '*****er' log and see the entrance and exit pages of anybody who visited. If someone clicked on the links that I posted from this site, it would ***** back to this site. So, I suppose that she could simply have followed the links back to see why she was getting hits from this site, read this post, and reached her own conclusions.

I think it's very nice that you guys help people improve their security by pointing out the vulnerabilities in their systems.
    I suppose it's a possibility that they could have been checking their logs for referrer addresses, but I doubt it because it was so quickly after you started this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanttoknow View Post
    Butta just sent me the nastiest e-mail, too, threatening me with all sorts of legal repercussions. Of course, she has no case, particularly since her site was not compromised in the least. But according to her e-mail, she seems to think I violated international law. Since we're both in the US, as is the Web site, I'm not sure how international law applies here. But I did offer to send her my name and address if it would help her make her case.
    That's just ridiculous. Firstly we didn't harm the website in any way, and even if we had I don't see how it would affect anyone. They don't make an income from that site, they don't provide a service; they don't do anything apart from talk in their community.

You can't sue someone for talking about trying to gain access to one user's account on a forum.
    Last edited by Ezekiel; 03-18-2007 at 05:29 AM.

Yep, according to federal cybercrime laws, something of value has to be obtained or something has to be altered, government or financial security has to be compromised, or direct threats have to be issued against a person. State laws vary, of course, but almost all of them require that, at the very least, access has been gained and something has been compromised, through alteration, destruction, or theft. None of them cover talking about how you would go about gaining access to a password-protected site. I think she mistakenly assumed that I was an ignoramus and that by making legal threats, she could frighten or intimidiate me. International laws are a bit less stringent, but the alleged crime has to occur in another country for anyone else to care.

I did notice that in her e-mail to me, she managed to omit the information containing her IP address from her header. So it sounds like someone may be afraid, but it is certainly not me.

Again, thanks for your help, and if you want to close or delete this thread, I would not object.
    Last edited by Wanttoknow; 03-18-2007 at 12:06 PM.

Yeah, removing this thread might not be a bad idea Moonbat -- we don't want to give her 'case' ammunition.

Nah, I'm gonna lock it instead. After all, we have nothing to fear, and there's no point lowering our post counts because of some stupid empty threat.

Closed Thread