xymon
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tracing an IP address on Chat / via Private Messages

Tracing an IP address on Chat / via Private Messages

Hi everyone,

I am new here, so please forgive me if i ask some rather obvious questions that may have been answered already

I would like to know if a person's IP address can be traced via MSN Messgener/ Yahoo Messenger chats, and also via private messages on forums.I have been told MSN uses relay and as such is not direct, also that it involves accepting a file transfer. I am interested in knowing whether my IP address can be traced when i use messenger or private messages.

Also, what is the difference between a static and a dynamic IP address?

Thanks
    Beechgal
    Last edited by beechgal; 04-30-2007 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beechgal View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am new here, so please forgive me if i ask some rather obvious questions that may have been answered already
    Yes, these questions have been asked and answered before, so please read through some existing discussion (and consult Wikipedia). Here's one I found in a few seconds:

[url]http://www.all-nettools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5*26[/url]

If you've got any specific questions that haven't been answered, post them here.

Also, what is the difference between a static and a dynamic IP address?

Thanks
    Beechgal
    "A Static IP address is where a computer uses the same address every time a user logs on to a network, for example the Internet. With a static IP address, a computer's identity can be easily identified by others, and user can easily connect with it. That way, for example, a website, email server, or other type of server connection can be hosted.

This contrasts with a Dynamic IP address, wherein an IP address is assigned to a computer, usually by a remote server which is acting as a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol server. IP addresses assigned using DHCP may change depending on the addresses available in the set scope.
    "

-- [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address[/url]

and also via private messages on forums.
    Forums don't give out user information like IP addresses to anyone except administrators and moderators. Nobody would want to use a forum that didn't protect its users' privacy.

I have been told MSN uses relay and as such is not direct
    It does with the text messages themselves, but I doubt that it does with file transfers. It would be pointless for them to waste all that bandwidth when users can directly transfer the files between each other.

I am interested in knowing whether my IP address can be traced when i use messenger or private messages.
    No, it can't. When someone has your IP address, it only leads back to your ISP. ISPs can have millions of subscribers, all giving the same whois information.

Private messages don't show IP addresses, like I said. Someone can only get your address if they force your browser to take an action to give them it, such as requesting an image on their server (embedding an image), or asking you to click a link to their server.
    Last edited by Ezekiel; 04-30-2007 at 12:03 PM.

Thank you mike*5* for your advice, appreciate the assistance

beechgal,why go thru all that trouble with the ip,just send a trojan or keylogger while chatting in messenger
    jabber: gh05t*d@jabb*r.org Email: gh05t*d@hack.cl

Internet security is as real as your Dreams !

+ Reply to Thread