windows auditing
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question regarding ip

question regarding ip

im trying to find the school my friend sent me an email from. i have the ip but when i *****ed it it said the location was etech which is probably the schools internet service provider? i was wondering if since i have the ip that i could tell them it and they could tell me which school it belongs to do you think they have that information?

This sounds dodgy to me...

Why don't you just ask your "friend" which school they go to?

I hope i'm not going to help a pedophile

Sorry.. but where's etech?

Try finding out who owns the ip.. you can do that [URL="http://www.all-nettools.com/toolbox"]here[/URL] and do a "smartwhois"..

If i do a whois on the IP address i'm using now it will tell me the name and address of my university..

i was wondering if since i have the ip that i could tell them it and they could tell me which school it belongs to do you think they have that information?
    They will have the information, but they won't tell you for the same reason i think this post sounds dodgy..
    Last edited by Troll; 04-28-2007 at 04:28 PM.

lol yeah i guess that does kinda give it off but nah my friend just moved to arizona and that was the last email i got from him havent been in contact for a few weeks now want to make sure everything was okay. really the only lead i have.

Quote Originally Posted by arturo8*** View Post
    im trying to find the school my friend sent me an email from. i have the ip but when i *****ed it it said the location was etech which is probably the schools internet service provider? i was wondering if since i have the ip that i could tell them it and they could tell me which school it belongs to do you think they have that information?
    Do they have the information? Probably.

Will they give the information to you? Definitely not. ISPs won't give out any sort of account information unless ordered to by authorities. Calling them and saying "Hi, please tell me who X address belongs to" will earn you an explanation of exactly what I just said. As far as I'm aware, no amount of social engineering can get around this. They need the proper legal process.

+ Reply to Thread