mrtg
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ubuntu = Pain in the A$$

Ubuntu = Pain in the A$$

i must say

its been *days

67hours

and alotta banging my head in the wall
    trying to install unbuntu is like trying to jerk off while driving a car with a five speed,talking on a cell phone.,eating a cheeseburger all at the same time ITS SO CONFUSING

ok heres the deal.. ubuntu starts from the live cd...

it says choose how you want to install blah blah i press enter...

ubuntu loads... and it loads... ... ...still loads.

nothing happens, although once it asked for a username and password.. which obviously i do not know since i never came to the point of setting one up?

now its 4am and im staring basicly at a blank screen...

any help? asap please edit: error starting the gnome settings daemon... Wtf?
    Last edited by mlg solidsnake; 04-30-2007 at 06:54 AM.
    +=_-Free Kevin!! +=_-

First, I'd like to say a few things on the subject of Ubuntu and Linux generally:

You may want to use a form of Linux because you've heard hackers use it, that it's so much better than Windows, more secure, more stable, easier for hacking, etc. This isn't all true.

Linux distros are for knowledgeable computer enthusiasts. That's who they're targeted at. They aren't much more stable than Windows, they have a similar amount of security vulnerabilities to Windows and they are usually harder to use. The reason you hear it being used by most hackers is because it is more suited to people who know a lot about computers and want to use them for tasks such as programming.

Most 'hacking' tools are available cross-platform; hackers mostly choose a form of *nix because they're open-source, infinitely customizable (it is encouraged) and made for programming.

Basically, don't choose Linux if you have minimal knowledge and are looking for an elite hacking platform. Linux is really what the user makes it be. Linux is better for knowledgeable people and worse for beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by mlg solidsnake View Post
    ubuntu loads... and it loads... ... ...still loads.

nothing happens, although once it asked for a username and password.. which obviously i do not know since i never came to the point of setting one up?

now its 4am and im staring basicly at a blank screen...
    What exactly happens after you click the 'install' button on the live CD? Did you get the live CD booted up fine? If yes, that means it probably isn't a graphics problem. Ubuntu should work without any work from you, but there sometimes are problems.

Wait, have you got an old version of Ubuntu? The latest is 7.04, Feisty. On this version, you boot the computer with the CD (or in my case, DVD) in your computer, then select "Start or install Ubuntu". It loads into the live version, and you can click 'Install' on the desktop to install ubuntu from the live CD. This is all done from within the desktop environment; you can even browse the web while it's installing. When it's done, you reboot and it's done.

Most problems come at the time of boot. Graphics and hard drives can need boot parameters to get working.

The actual installation of Ubuntu is as easy as installing Vista, in my opinion. Things like selecting your country. The only tricky part can be partitioning, but if you're installing it clean onto your HDD then nothing need be changed.

Basically, don't choose Linux if you have minimal knowledge and are looking for an elite hacking platform. Linux is really what the user makes it be. Linux is better for knowledgeable people and worse for beginners
    . well i wouldnt say im looking for a "Elite hacking platform" im actually wanting to customize my os?
    and im really into learning programming.. so it seems that linux is suitable for the situation

What exactly happens after you click the 'install' button on the live CD? Did you get the live CD booted up fine? If yes, that means it probably isn't a graphics problem. Ubuntu should work without any work from you, but there sometimes are problems
    .obviously nothing ive checked if the cd is damaged, or coruppted. its all fine
    like i said i did get a gnome error...

Wait, have you got an old version of Ubuntu? The latest is 7.04, Feisty. On this version, you boot the computer with the CD (or in my case, DVD) in your computer, then select "Start or install Ubuntu". It loads into the live version, and you can click 'Install' on the desktop to install ubuntu from the live CD. This is all done from within the desktop environment; you can even browse the web while it's installing. When it's done, you reboot and it's done
    . i probably do. since i tried booting it from my desktop, and it just gave me the welcome screen, and not the actuall install prompt
    +=_-Free Kevin!! +=_-

Quote Originally Posted by mlg solidsnake View Post
    . i probably do. since i tried booting it from my desktop, and it just gave me the welcome screen, and not the actuall install prompt
    In that case, I s***est getting the latest version. All the latest packages are released for the new version anyway, so it's best to upgrade.

requesting help

look- i know i dont know anything, and i know you cant say anything illeagle, and i want to learn, and i just want to know where to look, and yes i know google, but i was hopeing on something more specific. myspace hacking is not what im looking for, i want to learn all that i can... if you have any ideas, or have any help please email me at [email]xsenergy*0*@**********[/email] thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xsenergy*0* View Post
    look- i know i dont know anything, and i know you cant say anything illeagle, and i want to learn, and i just want to know where to look, and yes i know google, but i was hopeing on something more specific. myspace hacking is not what im looking for, i want to learn all that i can... if you have any ideas, or have any help please email me at [email]xsenergy*0*@**********[/email] thanks
    Learn a programming language.

+ Reply to Thread