hobbit monitor
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Email Spoof?

Email Spoof?

Are there any email servers I can connect to to spoof emails? Because I found out about it today, and wanted to try it out. 'Cept the fact that when I tried hotmail. it gave me a warning and my connection timed out, and when it didn't, I never recieved my message. I've tried connecting to mail.yahoo and mail.google, except I can't either.

Is there a way to connect to either of these. And if there isn't, is there another server I can use?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbat
    Are there any email servers I can connect to to spoof emails? Because I found out about it today, and wanted to try it out. 'Cept the fact that when I tried hotmail. it gave me a warning and my connection timed out, and when it didn't, I never recieved my message. I've tried connecting to mail.yahoo and mail.google, except I can't either.

Is there a way to connect to either of these. And if there isn't, is there another server I can use?
    Any SMTP server allows you to spoof emails. There are no specific servers you need to connect to - all will allow you to input any 'from' address without authentication. Here's how to find the mail server of a domain:

Code:
    nslookup -querytype=mx domain.com
    Remember to input domain.com, not [url]www.domain.com[/url].

To spoof an email, you need to connect to the server of the target address, not your own service. If I wanted to spoof an email to [email]abc@hotmail.com[/email], I would do this:
    Code:
    telnet mx*.hotmail.com 25

helo hotmail.com

mail from: test@fakedomain.com

rcpt to: target_email_address@hotmail.com

data

To: target_email_address@hotmail.com
    Subject: Testing my email spoofing skills.

This is my spoofed email.

quit
    It's important to remember the period (.) after the message. This tells the server where the end of the text is.

for instance

Wait, it has to be a mail server right?

Couldn't I just get someone's IP who has port 25 open and go from there?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbat
    Wait, it has to be a mail server right?

Couldn't I just get someone's IP who has port 25 open and go from there?
    It has to be a mail server.

You can't just randomly connect to somebody with port 25 'open' and expect to send emails from there. What will handle the connection? There has to be a server program running on a specific port for you to get a response.

Try reading these to understand how ports and server programs operate:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_and_UDP_port[/url]
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding[/url]

thanks

Thanks mike.

I tried this out, and every time I tried to open a connection I got the message that it could not open a connection to the host on port 25. I'm sure I typed it in correctly though.

Quote Originally Posted by rorshach View Post
    I tried this out, and every time I tried to open a connection I got the message that it could not open a connection to the host on port 25. I'm sure I typed it in correctly though.
    Are you connecting to a host that is running a mail server on port 25 and is fully accessible to the Internet without firewalls interfering?

I know it's not the firewall interfering, so i guess im using the wrong the port, I just assumed that it was always port 25. How do you find out what port to use?

Are you connecting to a host that is running a mail server?

I'll be honest, I really don't know what I'm doing. I'm on a school network at a college, so now that I think of it, there could be a firewall that I'm not aware. Sorry that I'm not really giving you much to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by rorshach View Post
    I'll be honest, I really don't know what I'm doing. I'm on a school network at a college, so now that I think of it, there could be a firewall that I'm not aware. Sorry that I'm not really giving you much to work with.
    If you're not connecting to a computer that's running mail server software, you'll get that "Could not establish connection" message. You can't connect to an IP address on a specific port without their computer both running a server and being accessible.

+ Reply to Thread