Power Admin
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IP problems/need some help!

IP problems/need some help!

This is my first post here, and have read the "don'ts" for this web site, so Hope I don't muck up here.

A couple of questions I have.

IP ADDRESS: How can moderatorts ban your IP? I bought anonomyzer?(sp), and that sucks. It worked, but someone sniffed me out anyway, and is reaking holy heck with me.
    *. I read so don't know if it is fact. If your IP has been banned, you can simply umplug your internet connections from your computer overnight. Then, when you plug it back in, you get a new one. True or false? I haven't tried it.

2. Is there something you can buy, that would let you TYPE in ANY IP you wanted people to see? Say for example: Joe blow moderator is messing with your computers at work when you go to a site. Is it possible to find there IP, type that in, and when they went to ban you, they actually banned themselves? (I'm not really good with computers, so this is why I'm here)

*. At one time I used BackIce protection. Anyone here know about this? It seemed to work really well. I am using AVAST, ZONEALARM, have windows defender installed, and this puke is walking right threw it, oh, and anonomizer. (didn't do me much good)

4. This morning, a screen came up befor windows started. It said something to the effect: "Floppy drive failure(80). The (80) is getting me really worried. I tried to start in safemode, computer wouldn't load windows. Took over four hours to get windows going, and still having some problems here. What do you guys/gals think? I can repost tomarow, the exact wording when I fire it up. Never seen this before, don't use the floppy drive, so I don't know. ALSO, When I turned on my computer when this started, it detected new hardware, the hardware is being called "portable computer". I don't have a clue on that one! The only thing I plug in is my jump drive, and haven't done that for about a week. I can not find this "portable computer" device. What the heck is this???

If you respond, thank you in advance. I'm at a complete loss. I hope none of what I posted here gets me banned, I don't want to hack anything, just want to stop it from happening to me. Thanks again!!!!

PS, if you like, pm me if you have the answere's and don't wish to post it for all. I just need some help, and don't know where else to go. I found this site, and am reading like a mad dog, wow, tons of stuff that will keep me thinking for months!
    Last edited by scooterdog; 05-05-2007 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Adding more info to thread.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterdog View Post
    This is my first post here, and have read the "don'ts" for this web site, so Hope I don't muck up here.

A couple of questions I have.

IP ADDRESS: How can moderatorts ban your IP? I bought anonomyzer?(sp), and that sucks. It worked, but someone sniffed me out anyway, and is reaking holy heck with me.
    There's no way to hide your IP address -- computers need IP addresses to communicate with each other. It's a case of either using a proxy or not using a proxy, and if you are using a proxy, they can still ban the proxy IP address until you change to a new one.

IP bans though are pretty useless in forums these days, because hardly anyone has a static IP address. If you ban someone one day, the next you'll be blocking a different, random user of that ISP.

The thing is, they can block a whole range of IP addresses, ensuring you can't access the forum again while you're on that ISP.

*. I read so don't know if it is fact. If your IP has been banned, you can simply umplug your internet connections from your computer overnight. Then, when you plug it back in, you get a new one. True or false? I haven't tried it.
    When you reset your router, your ISP usually allocates you a new IP address; you don't need to wait longer than it takes to reconnect. You can even use your router's web interface to disconnect and reconnect without the need for a full reboot.

2. Is there something you can buy, that would let you TYPE in ANY IP you wanted people to see? Say for example: Joe blow moderator is messing with your computers at work when you go to a site. Is it possible to find there IP, type that in, and when they went to ban you, they actually banned themselves?
    No, you can only use the IP address assigned to you by your ISP; but you can route your connection to the target website through a proxy. You still have the same IP address, but they see the proxy's IP address because it is connecting on your behalf.

There is a thing called IP spoofing -- your computer can send packets originating from any IP address (that's the way IP works), but you are not actually in control of that IP address, so any responses from the target server would get sent to the real IP address. Think of it as like the postal system; you can send a letter from anyone to anyone, but if you're impersonating someone else, you can't receive any replies unless you intercept.

4. This morning, a screen came up befor windows started. It said something to the effect: "Floppy drive failure(80). The (80) is getting me really worried. I tried to start in safemode, computer wouldn't load windows. Took over four hours to get windows going, and still having some problems here. What do you guys/gals think? I can repost tomarow, the exact wording when I fire it up. Never seen this before, don't use the floppy drive, so I don't know. ALSO, When I turned on my computer when this started, it detected new hardware, the hardware is being called "portable computer". I don't have a clue on that one! The only thing I plug in is my jump drive, and haven't done that for about a week. I can not find this "portable computer" device. What the heck is this???
    [url]http://forums.windrivers.com/archive/index.php/t-7**4.html[/url]

If you respond, thank you in advance. I'm at a complete loss. I hope none of what I posted here gets me banned, I don't want to hack anything, just want to stop it from happening to me. Thanks again!!!!
    Why would it get you banned? We're not elitist, and the rules (at least for my forum, anyway) are that you can discuss anything, but you can't post anything illegal (or ask for help doing something illegal) and you can't spam, etc.
    Last edited by Ezekiel; 05-06-2007 at 05:40 AM.

Mike:

Thank you for the kind reply.

I will check out the link you posted. Computer is dead now. As soon as I hit the power button, key ***rd flashes like normal start up, that's it! Black screen of death??. Hard drive lite is solid, no sound other than fan. Turned on and off some twenty times. This sucks!

I found that one can go to hidemyass.com, works great for what I need. Thanks to whoever posted that.

After reading for seven hours on this site lastnight, all I can say is--WOW! You people know sooooo much about security and all, I hope this site stays up forever!

Thank you again, you put that in words even my *2 year old could comprehend, and I need that(Being one dumb mf'er when it comes to computers myself)

I'm not really that much of a hardware expert, but I think it's a mother***rd problem. At least, that's the idea I got from Googling that error you gave me.

First thing I'd s***est is removing the case and cleaning dust off everything, particularly the fans. Then, check for any loose connections between the mother***rd and the hard drive(s), floppy drive and any other storage devices.

Next step, in my humble hardware knowledge, would be to disconnect each one of your storage devices individually (hard drive, floppy, etc.), reboot and see if that fixed the problem. If it did, take out that problematic drive and buy a new one; if it didn't, move on to the next one.

If the above didn't work, try the same for any other parts of your computer that are removable; things like RAM (this probably won't be the problem though).

If none of that worked, I would say it's a mother***rd problem. You now have a choice of buying a new mother***rd, or buying a new computer. If you buy a new mother***rd, it may not be compatible with your current hardware (graphics cards, hard drives) and you may end up buying pretty much a whole new computer.

Are you sure you're not booting with a floppy in the floppy disk drive? I haven't had one in years, but computers don't boot with a floppy in them.

Quote Originally Posted by mike*5* View Post
    I'm not really that much of a hardware expert, but I think it's a mother***rd problem. At least, that's the idea I got from Googling that error you gave me.

First thing I'd s***est is removing the case and cleaning dust off everything, particularly the fans. Then, check for any loose connections between the mother***rd and the hard drive(s), floppy drive and any other storage devices.

Next step, in my humble hardware knowledge, would be to disconnect each one of your storage devices individually (hard drive, floppy, etc.), reboot and see if that fixed the problem. If it did, take out that problematic drive and buy a new one; if it didn't, move on to the next one.

If the above didn't work, try the same for any other parts of your computer that are removable; things like RAM (this probably won't be the problem though).

If none of that worked, I would say it's a mother***rd problem. You now have a choice of buying a new mother***rd, or buying a new computer. If you buy a new mother***rd, it may not be compatible with your current hardware (graphics cards, hard drives) and you may end up buying pretty much a whole new computer.

Are you sure you're not booting with a floppy in the floppy disk drive? I haven't had one in years, but computers don't boot with a floppy in them.

No floppy in drive, it is never used.

Will clean, unplug, etc...,

If I were/could buy the same mother ***rd(had that and the HD replaced last year, replaced CD also. E-machine case, nothing original. All Diff. parts now)
    Would that work? I have a friend with the bigger machine than mine.

QUESTION: Can I take my hardrive out, put it in his machine(they seem to have the same hookups, my old ram fit his MB) AND hook my drive in as a slave drive and try to access it to remove all my legal folders? ? Or, is this unwise not knowing if I have something wrong that may corrupt his system? I 'm what I see you guys call a "noob".)

Again, will try the cleaning, unpl***ing everything, pulling each RAM chip out, and see what I get. If not, I guess if you would, recomend a $500-600 notebook that would be good. I don't play games, so it is mostly for video(dvd's) and that's about all the extra''s I need. Use my computer for mostly research and legal work when I'm not in the Oil Field.

Thank you so much for the reply! Love the site man, the best!!
    Last edited by scooterdog; 05-08-2007 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterdog View Post
    No floppy in drive, it is never used.
    Try removing the floppy drive.

If I were/could buy the same mother ***rd(had that and the HD replaced last year, replaced CD also. E-machine case, nothing original. All Diff. parts now)
    Would that work? I have a friend with the bigger machine than mine.
    It's hard to know; it might work.

QUESTION: Can I take my hardrive out, put it in his machine(they seem to have the same hookups, my old ram fit his MB) AND hook my drive in as a slave drive and try to access it to remove all my legal folders? ? Or, is this unwise not knowing if I have something wrong that may corrupt his system? I
    Yeah, that would be safe. As long as both your hard drive and his are either IDE or SATA, he should be able to access it. Well, unless it's the hard drive itself that's faulty.

Again, will try the cleaning, unpl***ing everything, pulling each RAM chip out, and see what I get. If not, I guess if you would, recomend a $500-600 notebook that would be good. I don't play games, so it is mostly for video(dvd's) and that's about all the extra''s I need. Use my computer for mostly research and legal work when I'm not in the Oil Field.
    I'm not from the US; anyone else here have s***estions?

+ Reply to Thread