hyperic
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Keylogger question

Keylogger question

Hi there. My question is regarding saved passwords in browsers. Do browsers input the information into the password fields in a way that would register with a keylogger?

I'm speaking specifically of Firefox if that matters.

Yes. Keyloggers catch all keystrokes a user makes, so their browser is irrelevant.

I'm sorry. I didn't explain myself correctly.

What I'm talking about is saved passwords. For example, when I go to hotmail or whatever, Firefox automatically populates my user name/password.

So, though I have typed nothing, would a keylogger pick up on Firefox imputting that information, or does it only pick up keystrokes that I actually make?

no.............you might get the link type log from the keylogger,but the cookies will be expired,and you will be redirectec again to the login screen.
    jabber: gh05t*d@jabb*r.org Email: gh05t*d@hack.cl

Internet security is as real as your Dreams !

Quote Originally Posted by seal_of_approva View Post
    So, though I have typed nothing, would a keylogger pick up on Firefox imputting that information, or does it only pick up keystrokes that I actually make?
    No, it wouldn't be capable of that unless it was specifically designed to either decrypt Firefox saved passwords or somehow monitor the WM_SETTEXT window messages Firefox sends to the text boxes on the page (I could be wrong there because I haven't done Win*2 programming in a long time). None of those would be easy to accomplish, and I certainly wouldn't be able to do it without many days of research.

Also, many people probably wouldn't choose to remember passwords (I don't, nor do I keep a history or download history), and you can choose to set a ****** password which I'd imagine further encrypts the stored passwords.

From the spytector.com faq....
    In the delivered logs are also included the Protected Storage passwords (Outlook, MSN and others), FireFox passwords and URL history (visited websites).

+ Reply to Thread