server monitoring
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: domain name

domain name

i was wondering if it was possible to make whateveriwant.com without having to pay some asshole company and just do it myself because i know i can host a server from my ip. so i was wondering if this is possible. Im sure there is a way if anyone has an idea or even maybe a comment please reply thanks alot

-dipman44

Domains and hosting are two separate things. You buy a domain, then you either buy hosting or set up your own server

You can't get real domains for free, since you're paying a central registry to have x.com ( or .org, .net, etc) point to your chosen IP address -- they aren't going to add you for free. You can't just magically create an entry for yourself and make it spread throughout the DNS; you just don't have the control over it.

You can get free domains such as .tk and .co.nr, but I have yet to come across one that gives away DNS services on the domains for free. They all use shitty iframes and redirects for visitors to reach your actual site. You get what you pay for -- free domains without DNS aren't suitable for hosting any sort of professional site.

Domains are typically $8.**/year, but some weird ones are cheaper (I think I got mine for $7.** or something). They're a lot cheaper than hosting.

[url]www.dynadot.com[/url]

That's my registrar. You can see the dedication to ********s they have by their recent email, which was along the lines of "prices for most domains are being forced to go up soon [by whoever they buy their registrar abilities from], so we advise you to renew your domains before [date of change] at the current prices".
    Last edited by Ezekiel; 10-15-2007 at 03:06 AM.
    Who needs drugs when you have electrons?

that sucks but at the same time it makes you think how are these compainies able to create .com domains thereselves? if we are not able to. i dont really understand that.

it makes you think how are these compainies able to create .com domains thereselves?
    They don't create them themselves, they just register them for other people.

You could become your own registrar, but this will cost you hundreds of dollars a year in ICANN fees. You could just use the IP address of wherever your site is hosted instead of having a domain name..

By the way, a ".info" is only $* a year..

Quote Originally Posted by dipman44 View Post
    that sucks but at the same time it makes you think how are these compainies able to create .com domains thereselves? if we are not able to. i dont really understand that.
    Uh, because they have paid the people who control the root DNS servers and the hierarchy below that (well, to the point of .org, .net, .com, .etc DNS servers).

When you set up your own domain name system and fund the costs of responding to millions of queries every day (and manage to get this system implemented in all popular operating systems), then you can create domains for free.

[url]www.godaddy.com[/url] has it where you buy a domain for like $5
    7h* L**7*57 c4n7 h4ck m*!
    Proud to have quit playing ®µÑȧ©ÅÞË

If you write like a semi-literate boob you will very likely be ignored.
    Writing like a l**t script kiddie hax0r is the absolute l**t*st way to write!
    L0L

ya godaddy is a good one i think i may use that at some point

I advise against Godaddy, unless you want your domain censored if they deem it inappropriate.

See [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoDaddy#Controversies"]here[/URL].

Rofl ok Never mind that then. If you plan on using it for anything normal then do it. It just looks like they like to raise hell with corporate fools.
    7h* L**7*57 c4n7 h4ck m*!
    Proud to have quit playing ®µÑȧ©ÅÞË

If you write like a semi-literate boob you will very likely be ignored.
    Writing like a l**t script kiddie hax0r is the absolute l**t*st way to write!
    L0L

o thanks mike is there another website you would s***est?

I use [url]www.dynadot.com[/url].

Quote Originally Posted by mike*5* View Post
    I use [url]www.dynadot.com[/url].
    alright cool if i ever buy a domain ill get it there thanks

hi,
    domain names are jus like ur residential address, the name of ur websites address, hosting is a place u store ur website so that u can access (upload and download ) ur data from ur site, i have a site hosted with [URL="http://www.tucktail.com/"]tucktail[/URL]

+ Reply to Thread