file access auditing
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IP / Port / Lan Scanner

IP / Port / Lan Scanner

Hi guys,

yesterday i installed all three on my laptop which is connected to the network via wireless.

i ve run the port scanner and i traced the ip of one of the computers that has / or could have admin privileges. He was using a telnet application or ....(the port 2* was wide open). I was worried here as i read and heard that people might be using telnet to hack or spy on your applications. How true is that?

i tried to connect via my telnet to his. And when the connection was made, it asked me for a password. Obviously, i failed here to feed it with a correct password so i disconnected.

after i checked again the ports, the telnet port was closed. I couldnt find it anymore. What are your thoughts? my only application at that time was MSN but still that is not the point.

cheers/

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Hi guys,

yesterday i installed all three on my laptop which is connected to the network via wireless.

i ve run the port scanner and i traced the ip of one of the computers that has / or could have admin privileges. He was using a telnet application or ....(the port 2* was wide open). I was worried here as i read and heard that people might be using telnet to hack or spy on your applications. How true is that?

i tried to connect via my telnet to his. And when the connection was made, it asked me for a password. Obviously, i failed here to feed it with a correct password so i disconnected.

after i checked again the ports, the telnet port was closed. I couldnt find it anymore. What are your thoughts? my only application at that time was MSN but still that is not the point.

cheers/
    Telnet is a service that runs on port 2*, and the 'telnet' program was originally designed to connect to telnet servers, I think. People just happen to use it to connect to any port nowadays.

If he's running a telnet server, there's nothing to worry about. It simply allows someone with his password (i.e. him) to log in and issue commands to his computer. If anything, he's the one at risk; using such an antiquated protocol.

Tell him he should use SSH instead of telnet, if you want to sound smart.
    Who needs drugs when you have electrons?

lol daniel, sorry m8!!

it was a telephone. that kind of telephone that apparently uses the net to communicate. Apparently when my friend is talking on it, it works on port 2*.

when it asked me about the password this time, all i did was type:

*2*4 (i think its the default one)

and then i went into the settings ...etc. not too much info, but at least i know what this weird device apart from the other three computers including the server, is on the network. The weird thing was the telnet port.....

Guys, does anyone have a good tutorial for telneting? like a good one? really good one....i ve googled, and i ve found a few small cheap ones but none that makes you really pro and good in telnet.

i would like to know what i can really do with telnetting.

and thank you mike for you explanation.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    i would like to know what i can really do with telnetting. !
    Connect to any computer on any port and send plaintext data, provided they have the specific port forwarded/accessible and have a service listening on it.
    Who needs drugs when you have electrons?

+ Reply to Thread