I would like to start off by saying hello everyone. In this thread I will be talking about "Old school" to our "New school" H4x0rs. I would like to make some simple but interesting views on both "arras". parently, to people enamored of the 'old school' of hackers, like Steven Levy or Clifford Stoll, there is a big difference. Indeed, to the 'old style' MIT/Stanford hackers, they resent the bestowal of their honored title on 'those people'(Which I would also, As the SkZ0r) by the media... to many people, 'hacker' is reserved for a class of people in the 60s, a certain 'breed' of programmer who launched the 'computer revolution,' but just can't seem to be found around any more... according to these 'old school' hackers, hacking meant a willingness to make technology accessible and open, a certain 'love affair' with the computer which meant "they would rather code than sleep." It meant a desire to create beauty with computers, to liberate information, to decentralize access to communication...... (How about you All-Nettols? What would you rather do sleep or code? How great is your determination?

Moving on......

What about the 'new' hackers? Many of the 'old' hackers think they don't deserve the name, preferring to call them 'computer criminals,' 'vandals,' 'crackers,' 'miscreants,' or in a purely generational swipe, 'juvenile delinquents.' The media uses the word 'hacker' to refer to young, clever computer users who use their modems to break into systems without authorization, much as depicted in the movie War Games. And the old school hackers resent this. Many of the new hackers aren't good programmers; they are just people without ethics who have no reservations about swiping passwords, codes, software, and other information and trading them with their friends. They may be good at exploiting security holes in systems, but all they succeed in doing (say people like Stoll) is destroying the trust on which open networks are built.I am interested, needless to say, in the generational aspect to this battle over the name 'hacker'. Most of the old hackers of the 60s are of course now living in the *0s - Baby Boomers who, like their ex-hippie friends, went from 'freak' to 'straight,' finding jobs in computer security firms and corporate software conglomerates. And like other counterculturalists from the 60s, they just can't seem to figure out this Generation X forming the counterculture of the *0s... where's the openness? The idealism? These "juvenile delinquents" just don't live up to the high moral standards of the 60s nostalgiacs like Levy and Stoll. But then, Levy rants about those great hackers who founded Apple Computer and launched the PC revolution. Well I would like some input on this topic. See what all of your points of views are. What do you think, who has more "power" who are the greatest h4x0rs out there, the old school originals, or the New school revolution?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
PGP Signature :
iQIVAwUBRzev6DvNiJqzWIDDAQLDPQ//fvqIuKxhDzrhIZyfd0WxTO/Ff**gvCmc
dMWLUSBw00TUdpeRxsh/PttwOqSiw*0x0Kjedq/XfdZQI7I*NiZ0deQ8ikmBJyUb
+*4m*be+LiMUrWBn6o*XpDnOLW*j4oXBXjnyW/BfF7+JZuzr4jOdT5f2bwyZQRP+
7riHb+L7irSFDyPXa6/ecAQsNf4WeTbTKUa8*O8ims2WmMqUEYUGyCzSIwXVOZVw
cqzXc*7FRw*kH/0h+8*PdOMGTLx7axI5Krbh/WM*qkOz+ATIdqmxE/fYOplceTvu
*X*8W8eUaj4CdmluSsKs6BmwEugpTrVZylJvze*sbO/2TiXLqjUxlUe5IlxwhkVC
LUqxIv8UNfj0CjjOIHsn7jL/kXUzs0HS*Ur**bjOkhZ8Kb*oqfJbQx6JDNH/hhmb
rc*jfjy*y5E7HMqgX58Scb/T6/ONNPH0n55*jJix8ti*CBDQZikjaa8ci*6g*qIr
gRCs7guLKIUDdbtuBO0MBeWVbZOLxH2*RxXqvWUdzsRJSKu*HBRxcqaySfeaafDy
*aGOCR8S0gBRHB+8nEVl*Pj6xXwf6DccJJTUMwYnP*4h/5Mh66n0TRYAyoUPmLG*
jVCbcbX5CAVpSZbLqEdm8Yzzk0ocbTMzaHNNGxa8Hj/hPMzTdEn02xfStBK2rNIe
EynE87+zc7c=
=mPKn

End of PGP Signature.
~-I cannot agree with those who rank modesty among the virtues. To the logician all things should be seen exactly as they are, and to underestimate one's self is as much a departure from truth as to exaggerate one's own powers. .~