monitor file activity
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: anonymity and java and active x

Unregistered Guest

anonymity and java and active x

Hi,
    Let me know what way my privacy will be affected based on java and active x. Does these tools ***** my previous visits like cookies and what information do they publish to the assessing website.Does disabling java and active x will enhance my privacy????
    Thank you.
    Crore

Unreg Guest
    Certain security scan sites use Java to determine your IP. JavaScript can determine your OS, browser, etc.

Many exploits are based on you having Java, ActiveX or Scripting enabled in your browser. Disabling them is one of the easiest things you can do to increase your security IMO.

Some people will complain that a lot of sites use them and disabling them will lessen their "online experience". If that experience includes being subjected to the exploits they make you vulnerable to, count me out. I never surf with them enabled and if I come to a site that require them to function correctly I make that decision on a case by case basis.

Take a look at the vulnerabilites and demonstrations listed here and decide for yourself. Most depend on you having those services enabled.

[url]http://www.guninski.com/[/url]

[url]http://sec.greymagic.com/news/[/url]

Unregistered Guest
    Thank you---
    could you please tell me where to go to disable activex and javascript etc as mentioned and which boxes to un click

Unregistered Guest
    Further to above--thats for IE6
    It used to be accessable through internet options -advanced --enable scripting --etc but I cant find that any more

Unregistered Guest
    Think I found it again

Internet Options --security---custom level

pls let me kow if more places to change thanks

Unreg Guest
    I have everything disabled in my Internet Zone except Submit nonencrypted form data. All zones are set the same and I don't have anything entered as a trusted site.

If you go to the MS update site you'll need to enable Download signed ActiveX controls, Run ActiveX controls and plugins, Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting, and Active scripting.

+ Reply to Thread