file access
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: safe surfing - question

Carrot Soup Guest

Smile safe surfing - question

I have a couple of questions about anonymous surfing that I havent seen asked before:

Youre using an anon proxy, so maybe the site you visit thinks youre comming from Japan, but....

*. What about all the comps that the page youre visiting goes thru b4 it gets back to you - can't they "see" or log what youre looking at? I'm talking about trace route here. I mean, untill your comp gets thru all the servers before it gets to the proxy and then the site, all the comps in between know who your real IP don't they? Can they log where youre going, what url you requested, what your doing when you get there etc? The target site might be fooled, but doesn't the rest of the trace route know "everything"?

2. Then, whos to say the "anon" proxy isn't some set-up designed specificaly to log anon proxy users. Like, the CIA or some spam set-up? --- "Here's another one, chief. This guy is using our anon proxy to visit sadamisagoodguy.com. Lets bust him for terrorism!" Know what I mean?

One other question: I've got all my scripting etc turned off in IE and am curently using a Hungarian anon proxy. Am I safe enough? Here's the results of a check I did. Please tell me, anyone, if you see any "holes".

DOCUMENT_ROOT=/usr/local/apache2/htdocs
    GATEWAY_INTERFACE=CGI/*.*
    HTTP_ACCEPT=*/*
    HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE=en-ca --OK, I REALY AM IN CANADA
    HTTP_CONNECTION=close
    HTTP_HOST=thor.prohosting.com ---SITE I GOT THIS CHECK FROM
    HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0*; Windows *8) ------ SO WHO CARES IF I USE IE5.0*? IT ALSO USED TO SHOW THE NAME OF MY ISP, BUT I PLUCKED THAT OUT WITH REGEDIT.
    PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
    QUERY_STRING=
    REMOTE_ADDR=**5.70.*2.2*4 ---MY PROXY. NOT MY REAL IP.
    REMOTE_PORT=2646
    REQUEST_METHOD=GET
    REQUEST_URI=/%7Etcpip/cgi-bin/env.cgi
    SCRIPT_FILENAME=/usr/home/web/t/tcpip/cgi-bin/env.cgi
    SCRIPT_NAME=/~tcpip/cgi-bin/env.cgi
    SCRIPT_URI=http://thor.prohosting.com/~tcpip/cgi-bin/env.cgi
    SCRIPT_URL=/~tcpip/cgi-bin/env.cgi
    SERVER_ADDR=65.***.***.*44 ---SITE I GOT THIS CHECK FROM.
    SERVER_ADMIN=web******@prohosting.com
    SERVER_NAME=thor.prohosting.com
    SERVER_PORT=80
    SERVER_PROTOCOL=HTTP/*.*
    SERVER_SOFTWARE=Apache/2.0.4* (Unix)

Any feedback would be great - thanks.

HI,

I have a couple of questions about anonymous surfing that I havent seen asked before:
    They have been asked before here,thats why may be you are not getting a reply.try searching the archives.

Youre using an anon proxy, so maybe the site you visit thinks youre comming from Japan, but....

*. What about all the comps that the page youre visiting goes thru b4 it gets back to you - can't they "see" or log what youre looking at? I'm talking about trace route here. I mean, untill your comp gets thru all the servers before it gets to the proxy and then the site, all the comps in between know who your real IP don't they? Can they log where youre going, what url you requested, what your doing when you get there etc? The target site might be fooled, but doesn't the rest of the trace route know "everything"?

certainly they do and log the real ip.The difficult part is how to trace them back(back ***** ) to its a source.
    It is possible,easily when you know which are the back bone network and key routers in a country,they can go through the logs.
    Once a transmission has ouccured,it certainly is logged.
    What you can try is to use proxies of a hostile nation,such that if govt 'A' requests govt 'B' to give the true ip,when they back *****,since Govt 'B' is hostile to 'A',there is no way they are going to give the true ip.

2. Then, whos to say the "anon" proxy isn't some set-up designed specificaly to log anon proxy users. Like, the CIA or some spam set-up? --- "Here's another one, chief. This guy is using our anon proxy to visit sadamisagoodguy.com. Lets bust him for terrorism!" Know what I mean?

anonymizer.com is known to be hosted by the cia.

One other question: I've got all my scripting etc turned off in IE and am curently using a Hungarian anon proxy. Am I safe enough?

What do you mean by 'safe enough'?

Here's the results of a check I did. Please tell me, anyone, if you see any "holes".

Go through the ip's.Ur ip is certainly logged by ur proxy

Regards Data.

DOCUMENT_ROOT=/usr/local/apache2/htdocs
    GATEWAY_INTERFACE=CGI/*.*
    HTTP_ACCEPT=*/*
    HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE=en-ca --OK, I REALY AM IN CANADA
    HTTP_CONNECTION=close
    HTTP_HOST=thor.prohosting.com ---SITE I GOT THIS CHECK FROM
    HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0*; Windows *8) ------ SO WHO CARES IF I USE IE5.0*? IT ALSO USED TO SHOW THE NAME OF MY ISP, BUT I PLUCKED THAT OUT WITH REGEDIT.
    PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
    QUERY_STRING=
    REMOTE_ADDR=**5.70.*2.2*4 ---MY PROXY. NOT MY REAL IP.
    REMOTE_PORT=2646
    REQUEST_METHOD=GET
    REQUEST_URI=/%7Etcpip/cgi-bin/env.cgi
    SCRIPT_FILENAME=/usr/home/web/t/tcpip/cgi-bin/env.cgi
    SCRIPT_NAME=/~tcpip/cgi-bin/env.cgi
    SCRIPT_URI=http://thor.prohosting.com/~tcpip/cgi-bin/env.cgi
    SCRIPT_URL=/~tcpip/cgi-bin/env.cgi
    SERVER_ADDR=65.***.***.*44 ---SITE I GOT THIS CHECK FROM.
    SERVER_ADMIN=web******@prohosting.com
    SERVER_NAME=thor.prohosting.com
    SERVER_PORT=80
    SERVER_PROTOCOL=HTTP/*.*
    SERVER_SOFTWARE=Apache/2.0.4* [

Up N. Atum Guest

Question

"anonymizer.com is known to be hosted by the cia."

Known to whom? First I've heard it.
    DATA prove it, please.

HI,

When anonymizer came online.there was a small addy at the bottom saying hosted by CIA.

I heard this is frm a group of german hackers group,whom I trust.

Since I trust them,I didn't need proof.

As u already see I cannot prove it either,If u trust,u can beleive it or other wise not beleive it.

Regards Data.

Up N. Atum Guest
    DATA, thanks for replying.

Whether your hacker friends saw this or not I have no way of knowing. What I do know is they could not have been the *only* ones to see it. And yet, to my knowledge, no one else has ever claimed seeing such a notice. Seems strange -- none of the privacy organizations or security forums warn about this.

Wouldn't at least somebody else have seen that notice, too?

FWIW, I don't trust anonymizer.com or ANY web-based proxy services, simply because you can't know who is really behind ANY of them.

HI,

your welcome

>Seems strange -- none of the privacy organizations or security >forums warn about this.

beats me too.

>Wouldn't at least somebody else have seen that notice, too?
    it would be nice-may be such things go hush-hush .I am not sure.

>FWIW, I don't trust anonymizer.com or ANY web-based proxy >services, simply because you can't know who is really behind >ANY of them.

Very true.

Refards Data.

+ Reply to Thread