monitor file access
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Program with install shield

Program with install shield

Where's Tito these days??
    I have some older programs that are .exe files with install shield built in, and they asks for a simple password to proceed, The couple I have the password for use simple passwords like 'rabbit' for e.g.
    The strange thing is that when I open them with W*2asm or an assembler, the word search for the error message 'You have entered a wrong password' does not show up, or in the case of the ones that work, the password that works does not show up in a search either.
    Is there a method of finding these that require a different method?
    Anyone?
    Thanks
    M.

I don't really understand what you mean could you upload one of the files somewhere? It's not uncommon to not see the text that your looking for. If their installshield files then you wouldn't but I don't understand why your getting a password box. Is it from the installer or the program your extracting?

Thanks for the reply, the files are *.exe files and when run for the first time I get a box 'Enter Password'.
    The one's I have the password for use the identical box and after I enter it, the program appears to install, and after that It does not require a PW to run.
    The odd thing is, on a couple I found the string as per the turorial, but on one or two I could not find the Enter Password Prompt using a text search.
    BTW I have followed some of the tutorials here and may be getting somewhere.
    But using the Hiew Pgm to enable the code change does not work on the demo version due to too large a file, do you s***est a program I could use in the mean time?
    I have had some assembly language experience from back in the 8088 days.
    I will see how I make out today, and if neccessary will post the file on a upload site.
    Thanks again.
    M.
    Last edited by MaxHeadRoom; 12-31-2007 at 11:10 AM.

I haven't used Hiew. By the looks of the screenshots online it looks like you would appreciate something like [url=http://www.hexworkshop.com/]Hex Workshop[/url] instead.

I don't know much about the tutorials here but I can recommend some very good ones. I my opinion of searching through learning tutorials lena*5* has the best hands down. And the best site for these tutorials and others is [url]http://tuts4you.com/[/url]. I haven't seen anything compare.

So the .exe files you have are password protected InstallShield packages. I would try to extract the files using UniExtract or [url=http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/ZipScan_*442*_p/]ZipScan[/url] might work. Then theres usually install files that are basically text files with options for InstallShield. One of them is to use a password. There may even be one with the password. So you would just need to change that line in the text file. I'm sure theirs other methods but I would try this first. Another thing is since your using a hex editor locate when the other passwords have been at (a specific memory address or next to a certain line of hex codes) and search for it in your passworded file. If you want upload it and I'll give it a shot.

+ Reply to Thread