+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: Disadvantages of using a proxy.
06-16-2001, 01:50 PM #1
Disadvantages of using a proxy IMHO:
A] If you use a firewall to block IPs, those IPs will not be blocked when using proxy.
B] If you use a packet sniffer to monitor packet traffic of your PC, proxy makes this task more difficult since all traffic flows through proxy IP.
C] Proxy can log all your surfing IPs.
D] Proxy can read your traffic unless, maybe, you have a SSL tunneling connection (https} or are using other encryption.
E] Proxies can be operated by government spy agencies.
Who do you trust?Blacksheep
06-16-2001, 04:04 PM #2Registered User
- Join Date
- Jun 2001
C&D] They can, but will they?
1. They have to know you're there.
2. They have to speak your language or the language of the sites you visit.
3) They have to care enough to go to the trouble
4) This is very difficult for them if you have a dynamic IP (every time you log on you're a 'different' person as far as they know.
5) You'd have to move a lot of data to even come to their attention.
E] Those neatly provided for you on websites, absolutely.
Of course these are just one dude's wild-eyed, uninformed opinions :-)