cacti
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Concerned about proxy connection

Rank amateur Guest

Concerned about proxy connection

Hi,

Just stumbling around here trying to learn a bit.

I have many questions which I will not bore you with right away.
    However I am concerned about one thing at this time. Can I assume that if I am able to connect to a proxy site it is acceptable to those that run the proxy for me to do so? Or, am I exposing myself to some sort of censure by my ISP?

Here is where I'm coming from. I have found a site http://proxysite.com/ that lists many working proxys. I always check my enrironmental varaibles and run the smart who is here at nettools and find that some of these proxys are schools, libraries, and businesses. Some I can pin down only to a large network such as ATT Broadband. Do they run these servers aware of the fact that those who have no connection to their organizations are able to use it?

I do not understand why anyone would run an open server that allows those outside the local network to connect to it.

Thanks for any advice or insight.

Unregistered Guest
    I think most 'providers' don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts, they've just forget to close some back doors on their servers - if they become aware of unauthorised use they will stop it.

Although it's *********ly not legal to use any proxy without the owners permission, I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble for it either.

A server set up as a proxy will keep logs of all accesses, but one question that I've always wondered about is if a Library or School is inadvertently letting you use port 80 or 8080 - then does it log the fact or just services the request and leaves no trace. When logs are kept then for how long.

Rank amateur Guest
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    I think most 'providers' don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts, they've just forget to close some back doors on their servers - if they become aware of unauthorised use they will stop it.

Although it's *********ly not legal to use any proxy without the owners permission, I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble for it either.

A server set up as a proxy will keep logs of all accesses, but one question that I've always wondered about is if a Library or School is inadvertently letting you use port 80 or 8080 - then does it log the fact or just services the request and leaves no trace. When logs are kept then for how long.
    Thanks for the reply. Your info is helpful.

Unregistered Guest
    Does anyone have open NNTP proxies please?

+ Reply to Thread