network monitoring
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ubuntu Troubles

Ubuntu Troubles

Hello, I am Perseus, but you don't care anyway down to the nitty gritty

For various reasons I want to install Ubuntu on my Windows computer using VMware

I have a Toshiba Vista *2 bit operating system *.8* GHz * gb ram Intel Core Duo T5550

I get through all the steps except the final one, *according to a guide* and it states that I have a i686 CPU and need a x86-64 bit
    I have tried both downloads on the Ubuntu both 64 bit and the other *forget the name*

So, does anyone have any idea's to help me ^.^ Or can refer me to a place that isn't complicated and easy to understand, VMware is about as hard as its going to get for me. Thanks again

I wrote a tut on installing Ubuntu on Windows using VMWare. Here's the link:

[url]http://www.all-nettools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76*7[/url]
    "Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains." -Karl Marx

That was the tut I was speaking about, I did everything and it gave me the error saying I need a x86-64 bit CPU and I have a i686 CPU apparently. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I would need to solve that problem before it would even work

Perhaps this can explain it better
    [url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24*/Zodaics/Kernalerror.jpg[/url]
    Last edited by Perseus; 09-11-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: More info

From the Ubuntu download page, download both versions (Standard x86 and the 64-bit versions).

From there, install the x86 version using VMware under Ubuntu. If it fails, install the 64-bit version in VMware under Ubuntu 64-bit on the menu.
    "Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains." -Karl Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I have tried both downloads on the Ubuntu both 64 bit and the other *forget the name*

So, does anyone have any idea's to help me ^.^ Or can refer me to a place that isn't complicated and easy to understand, VMware is about as hard as its going to get for me. Thanks again

I have already tried that, I am not trying to be rude or anything

If that's the case, I have no other choice that to say it's something to do with your processor. But if you really want to keep trying and you are using Windows, instead of using VMware, just make a small partition on your hard drive and run [URL="http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/wubi.exe"]Wubi, the Ubuntu Installer For Windows[/URL].

+ Reply to Thread