monitor file activity
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Compiling Java Programs

Question Compiling Java Programs

Hi all. I've recently started to learn how to code in Java and have made a couple of successful attempts at simple stuff using the Eclipse editor. My programs run nicely in there no problem. When I run > cmd and try to use javac (i.e. javac HelloWorld.java) to compile the program I'm getting an error: 'javac' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.' Can anyone tell me what I'm missing please? Many thanks in advance, Magoo.

I'll Give My Thoughts

From what I have already done in Java, to be able to compile a program you need to compile a program in Eclipse, select the project in the pane on the left hand side. Then select Project->Rebuild Project from the menu. Compilation errors are displayed in a window at the bottom of the Eclipse frame. Click on an error message, and the cursor moves to the offending line in the edit window.
    Or you can try this:
    [URL="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&hs=GVp&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=*&q=compiling+eclipse+programs&spell=*"]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&hs=GVp&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=*&q=compiling+eclipse+programs&spell=*[/URL]
    Last edited by blacksabbath; 10-24-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: I forgot to put [/URL] at the end of the link :D
    *2% of teens have moved on to rap.
    If you are part of the 8% who still listen to "real music",
    copy and paste this into your signature

Smile Another blonde moment from Magoo...

Thankyou very kindly Mr. Sabbath Whilst exploring and following your s***estion it quickly became apparent that I'd experienced another 'blonde' moment. It's times like these when I think: 'if only I had read that before I sent the post'. Is everyone aware that javac (the java compiler) does not download with the J2SDK environment package and is not included in the download of Eclipse either? I guess now I've downloaded this it should cure my problem. Thanks again for your input Blacksabbath. Much appreciated

If from command prompt, you'll need to change directory to the folder javac is in ("cd path").
    Who needs drugs when you have electrons?

+ Reply to Thread