hyperic
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advanced IP question

Advanced IP question

I just started reading up on some posts on this website about ip addresses and getting info from them.

Basically, I understand that you cannot get an exact physical location from an IP address. You can only get a general location based on the host or whatever.

So now my question is, is there any way to get any specific info from a persons ip address?

Here's my situation. I have a blog and I have a program called "Sitemeter" on my blog. I obtained the IP address of a visitor on my blog from Sitemeter and I am wondering if I can get information about this visitor. I know you can't get an exact location or a name. But if there is anything else, I'd like to know.

Thanks for the advice.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by diverob88 View Post
    Here's my situation. I have a blog and I have a program called "Sitemeter" on my blog. I obtained the IP address of a visitor on my blog from Sitemeter and I am wondering if I can get information about this visitor. I know you can't get an exact location or a name. But if there is anything else, I'd like to know.
    Like you correctly noted above, all you can get is an appoximate location. See [url]http://www.all-nettools.com/whois-traceroute-*/smartwhois-2587*.htm[/url] . Check this IP address using that program. That's the maximum you can get.

Thanks for the response. I'll check out that link.

Manfred Guest
    Valuable information.

+ Reply to Thread