ganglia
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: University network privacy

University network privacy

Just started uni and was wondering, I connect via either a ******* or un******* wireless network. How much can the uni see of what I'm doing on the internet? I was also looking into brute forcing and out of interest I was going to try it, would they be able to detect this? Or is just simple statistics like bandwidth etc that they can monitor? Thanks

If the university is your isp, they can know everything you do. Connecting through an un******* wireless the network admin can sniff your traffic and get info. Some people will set up an open network in a busy place just to sniff the traffic.
    Last edited by gordo; 09-18-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Is there anyway I can prevent this at all? I assume going through a proxy wouldn't work.. but are there any similar things that might work? Or will I just have to be careful

Can they see what I do on https sites?
    Last edited by CoolName; 09-17-2009 at 06:54 AM.

Using a proxy will work, but whoever runs the proxy has access to the info going through it, so beware.

To get the access to the internet I have to log in as my user, would they be able to know it was me through a proxy then?

The university would/could know. You go through them first, then the proxy. The other option would be an open wireless network or wireless network cracking

So would a proxy do anything then? Or would the act of going through a proxy make me more suspicious? And I have a choice of ******* or un*******.. would that make a difference?

Your isp could know everything you do online. To avoid that, you could go through another person's wireless network, whether open or *******. The drawback is the network admin could sniff the traffic and get your info. But their isp would believe that everything YOU were doing online was them(the owner of the network you are using). I hope that helps.

+ Reply to Thread