power admin
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IP addressing

Question IP addressing

Hi all, I recently started trying to understand how networks are setup, primarily because of a school project I have to make in which I have to simulate the creation of a network from scratch in an enterprise. I’ve read some useful posts on this forum and I thought I might as well ask something that I have not understand quite well yet. I’m supposed to include at least 200 PCs in the network I’ll simulate, so I’m thinking I should just use a single real ip address from an ISP on a router, then connect this router to five different switches, all of which will have 40 PC’s connected to them, I guess this way the real IP address would be setup on the router and then I would be able to setup virtual addresses to every computer that is connected to a switch. Now my questions are:
    *. Is it ok to use a single real IP address for such a high number of computers? The router would only really be connected only to five switches and I’m guessing it should be a very fast connection, like *00mbps or something.
    2. Is it ok to setup the network just like that? Or do I need some kind of server or those layer * switches I’ve been hearing about?
    *. In case I used more than a single real Ip address, how would I connect them? Would they each need a router? And in that case, how would the routers communicate with each other?
    Any help would be really appreciated :P

IP addressing

Is there a method for doing this?
    Is there a way to hide addressees from other addressees?
    Thanks in advance,
    Joe

IP addressing

Just thought I would post some useful information. Most of this stuff is right out of the Networking Essentials Books I used in earning my MCSE.

Just like a letter that you mail to a friend, packets on a network need some form of addressing so they can be sent from one node to another. There are actually several different addresses that are attached to Ethernet packets:

A port number is assigned at the Transport Layer so the application that is sending the data, and the application that is the intended receiver can be identified.

The Internet Layer adds an IP address so the packet can be routed from one logical network to another.

Last, but not least, the Network Layer adds a Media Access Control MAC address that is used to get a packet from on node to another on the same logical network. A node is anything on a network that needs an IP address to communicate a PC, server, router, etc.
    For more information on how packets move across a network, see the Getting Connected article. For now we are just going to focus on the Internet Layer and IP addresses. So kick back, relax, and keep reading...

ujiha Guest
    if u r using vista ,then go to the network and sharing option and then click to view status,then properties and then after continueing u hav 2 double click on internet protocol version.after these simple steps u can get ur ip address.and one more thing vich other hav told u ,ok um not gona 2 tell u ..........
    ================================
    Last edited by gordo; 01-26-2010 at 06:00 AM.

shareen876 Guest
    An identifier for a computer or device on a TCP/IP network. Networks using the TCP/IP protocol route messages based on the IP address of the destination. The format of an IP address is a *2-bit numeric address written as four numbers separated by periods. Each number can be zero to 255. For example, *.*60.*0.240 could be an IP address.

Within an isolated network, you can assign IP addresses at random as long as each one is unique. However, connecting a private network to the Internet requires using registered IP addresses (called Internet addresses) to avoid duplicates.

The four numbers in an IP address are used in different ways to identify a particular network and a host on that network. Four regional Internet registries -- ARIN, RIPE NCC, LACNIC and APNIC -- assign Internet addresses from the following three classes.
    Class A - supports *6 million hosts on each of *26 networks
    Class B - supports 65,000 hosts on each of *6,000 networks
    Class C - supports 254 hosts on each of 2 million networks
    Last edited by gordo; 01-26-2010 at 06:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread