Power Admin

Thread: A hacker or am I just hallucinating...

Threaded View

Angry A hacker or am I just hallucinating...

I have a problem on my computer with “User Preferences”. I set them the way I want them, but they keep changing. No one else uses my computer. I size my windows for my drives and other folders to open in a certain place and size on my computer screen, then click re***** and close them and immediately reopen them to check that they are like I put them. I’ve set the file detail views as I like them, then when I open the same windows, like drive C or Drive D window, say few hours later, and have never shut down my computer, they have changed size, location, or file detail view. I also see certain programs change things in them to, which windows has no control over. It really acts like a HACKER has come on my computer and made these little changes while I’m online or has put a Trojan is on my computer to gain access, even though I’ve scanned many times using: Spybot, PestPatrol, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, MRU-Blaster, Anti-Trojan, Trojan Hunter, Bazooka, The Cleaner, and have run several virus scans. Everything comes up clean. I run Peerguardian, Protowall, VirusScan, PestPatrol, Port Monitoring, and a sound firewall while online. My firewall will not let anything happen as far as program actions, or online accesses, unless I approve them (Tiny Personal Firewall 5.5). I consider myself to be an advanced user. I’ve visually searched Windows… System and System*2 folders for Trojan files. I run port scanning software to view my port actions and all programs running, while I’m online. I’ve been to “Shields Up” to check open ports, and checked my firewall here: [url]http://www.pcstadt.com/pc-security.html[/url] (right column good port & firewall checks), everything is Stealthed and good. Ports **5, *025, 5000, and all the rest are closed and stealthed. I ran Microsoft Security Analyzer, and it said I had * shares, but when I went into the computer to change it wouldn’t let me change the settings, by Right Clicking. My computer is an Xp2700 running the WinXp pro, with the latest updates. At computer start up I always run Privacy Eraser Pro, which totally cleans my cache, trash can, and many other folders of excess crapola. Is it because of all the programs above that maybe they are stripping my set preferences somehow, because I clean my computer so well, but that doesn’t make sense because it happens while I’m using my computer to work or browse the internet. Is WinXp just an Unstable OS?
    When I monitor programs running while online using port scanning software I see: svchost.exe*564, svchost.exe*720, lsass.exe**88, System:4, alg.exe*60, (using either TCP & UDP protocols) but these online processes are LISTENING… Also I do not use MsMessenger, but sometimes I will see it has been activated and is running, but the icon is not in the system tray, nor does the WINDOWS TASK MANAGER show it’s running. I can only see this using my port monitoring program, either TCPview or DiamondCS Port Explorer. These port programs will let me kill that process immediately. I also think I’ll uninstall the MsMessenger, because I never use it and it’s not set to auto open at start-up, and should never be running, but it can’t be uninstalled by the Control Panel… So I used this: [url]http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm[/url] but the Msmsgs.exe will still be running sometimes, I think this is an open door to hackers… I also have filtered every program at start with my Tiny Firewall. I’ve heard of Trojans that allow people to get on your computer and make these little changes, but have never experienced it, until now, maybe. Any ideas….. thanks
    Last edited by seboyd2000; 05-09-2004 at 01:26 PM.
    BIG BROTHER is spreading a NEW WORLD ORDER and taking all freedoms with it.. http://www.pcnuke.com