monit
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need some starters

need some starters

hi all'
    i am new to this forum,,and iguess a bit of a novice when it comes to many things.
    i currently have win XP and i am trying to navigate with the telnet service.
    it does not seem to connect "connection failed",,and i was wondering if there are any ways of configuring it or checking for usability (most tutorials just say type telnet at the start--run and away you go).

some points i have made so far are:

--dos will ping many of the addressess successfully
    --i have a firewall
    --as a security feature i ran--- unset ntln
    --i have set it again but im not too sure

Im hoping to get a linux OS installed soon ,,but i would like to at least familiarise myself with the basics of telnet in windows first.

any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Telnet

Quote Originally Posted by stimpy
    hi all'
    i am new to this forum,,and iguess a bit of a novice when it comes to many things.
    i currently have win XP and i am trying to navigate with the telnet service.
    it does not seem to connect "connection failed",,and i was wondering if there are any ways of configuring it or checking for usability (most tutorials just say type telnet at the start--run and away you go).

some points i have made so far are:

--dos will ping many of the addressess successfully
    --i have a firewall
    --as a security feature i ran--- unset ntln
    --i have set it again but im not too sure

Im hoping to get a linux OS installed soon ,,but i would like to at least familiarise myself with the basics of telnet in windows first.

any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated

cheers
    You can only telnet to a computer that actually has a telnet server running. You cannot just try to connect to any random ip, they actually have to have a telnet server program running that will listen for and handle all incoming connections. If you just try to telnet to a computer without a telnet server running on port 2*, then it will simply just block the connection and you will receive the "failed to connect" message. Of course that's very basic stuff, and you should definitely know not to randomly telnet to somewhere expecting any sort of response. If thats not the problem, then make sure you are connecting to the right port.

Unhappy ?

Quote Originally Posted by mike*0*
    You can only telnet to a computer that actually has a telnet server running. You cannot just try to connect to any random ip, they actually have to have a telnet server program running that will listen for and handle all incoming connections. If you just try to telnet to a computer without a telnet server running on port 2*, then it will simply just block the connection and you will receive the "failed to connect" message. Of course that's very basic stuff, and you should definitely know not to randomly telnet to somewhere expecting any sort of response. If thats not the problem, then make sure you are connecting to the right port.
    do u mean like the other perosn goota have the cmd running on telnet command?
    WAFFLES?!?!? OMFG WHERE?!!?

Telnet

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard
    do u mean like the other perosn goota have the cmd running on telnet command?
    No, like an actual telnet server, a program that will accept incoming telnet connections on port 2*, these have to be downloaded from the internet then run whenever you want people to be able to connect.

Unhappy telnet

so u mean that if port 2* is open then we can connect to their computer?
    WAFFLES?!?!? OMFG WHERE?!!?

telnet

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard
    so u mean that if port 2* is open then we can connect to their computer?
    If they have a telnet server running, and port 2* is open on any firewalls and routers, then yes, you can connect to port 2*.

+ Reply to Thread